Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
Search

Re: RTI in school based therapy

•  01-15-2010, 1:01 PM

Re: RTI in school based therapy

Hi Jocelyn,

Are your supervisors administrators or people who know what the special education laws are that pertains to therapies in the schools?  I also work in the schools so I've had to deal with situations like yours.  I think you are correct to be cautious with providing therapy to someone  not on your caseload.  You are the one at risk (if you are required to have a state license you risk losing that) and need to protect yourself.  I think it would be wonderful if we as OTs had the opportunity to work with some of the children who aren't our clients, but OT, SLP, PT, etc. are mandated for children in special education by federal law.  With the whole least restrictive laws you would be ignoring law and could be potentially sued by parents who did not give their permission for you to work with them and rightfully so.  As a parent I would expect to know who is working with my child and why. And there are definitely child advocates out there who would be happy to sue you and your school district for breaking the law.  You need to explain to your supervisors how IDEA and least restrictive environment are mandated by federal laws and that you would be at risk for a law suit and losing your license.  Hopefully this will get them to understand why you are refusing/reluctant to provide services to children not on your caseload.  I wish you the best of luck and I hope all turns out well for you.

Elisa Salazar-MacKenzie, OTR/L

View Complete Discussion