Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
Search

role of restorative nursing in SNF/nursing home setting

•  12-06-2012, 12:53 PM

role of restorative nursing in SNF/nursing home setting

I am employed as a PTA in  a SNF/NH in Illinois. Lately we have been running into situations where the PT has instructed me to D/C a W/C of a pt who has progressed in therapy well enough to ambulate with a FWW. This certain pt is a relatively young pt with dx of MS, so she may not have that many years left with the ability to ambulate. Upon informing ther Restorative RN of our d/c plan, the RN informed me that she will continue the w/c another 2 weeks. I relayed that to my PT, whom decided that would be detramental to the progress the pt has achieved. This is not the first occasion where Restorative has "trumped" PT in this situation. In all my years as a therapist I have never encountered this problem. I am asking and searching for any articles, and/or practice acts, or regulations clearly defining the Role of Restorative Nursing vs the Role of PT. Any input or insight you can give will greatly assist me in addressing this problem with the adminstrators and the higher ups I have in my facility. Thank You. Stacy PTA
View Complete Discussion