Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Tenodesis Splint

Last post 09-28-2019, 1:33 AM by Nina Solano. 2 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  06-17-2008, 7:25 PM

Tenodesis Splint

I work in acute care and have a patient with SCI level C6, who is regaining use of wrist extensors, current strength 3-/5. While we are working on strengthening wrist extensors to promote a tenodesis grasp, I would like to make a splint for him that would 1) promote independence with self-care (suctioning, washing face), 2) prevent wrist drop and overstretching of wrist extensors and 3) preserve tightness in finger flexors to promote a functional tenodesis grasp. I found a picture of a "tenodesis training splint" in a splinting book, but it didn't have a good picture, did not state directions for making the splint, or give a materials list. Does anyone have a good pattern and materials list for making a dynamic splint like this? Or is there another type of splint that would work better for this patient? Thanks in advance for your help!
  •  07-22-2008, 11:32 PM

Re: Tenodesis Splint

a tenodesis splint can be very effective and is fairly easy to make. There are 3 separate pieces. start with a short opponens splint. then make a cuff on the forearm (about midpoint). The third piece is a small cap the goes on the dorsal aspect of the index and middle fingers going across both the PIPs and DIPs. The cap and the cuff then get coeencted by a string. Put a hole in the middle of the cap so you can knot the sting on the top and then it goes in between the fingers at the midpoint of the 2nd phalanges.  Attach a hook on the middle of the forearm cuff on the volar aspect (I use a bent paperclip for this). The string then ties to this hook. The tension is then adjusted so that with wrist in neutral and flexion the sting is lag.  When the wrist is extended, the string is taught - bringing the index and middle fingers to the thumb (which is supported in opposition by the short opponens). Hope this helps!
  •  09-28-2019, 1:33 AM

Re: Tenodesis Splint