Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

wages

Last post 12-17-2008, 10:35 AM by Gladys Slory. 14 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  10-31-2007, 5:43 PM

wages

hello I am looking for some guidance from the lpn community in upstate ny. I recently moved from ocean county new jersey where the salaries for lpns were wonderful ($28.00 hourly) only to find myself in catskill new york earning $19.00 hour and that seems to be the high end here!    I love my work but I need a higher wage. Right now I commute to Dutchess County for work, but I am willing to get my Massachusetts or Connecticut license if that will make a difference. My current employer is a private home care case so I am isolated from a community of nurses to offer me guidance. - Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
  •  11-16-2007, 11:58 AM

Re: wages

you are lucky to have such good pay as a LPN in New York. i recently moved to Georgia and been a LPN for 17 years and offer a state job for 9.35 hour. i was making 22.00 hour in Florida. i could'nt beleive the low pay in Georgia, it is a slap in the face. i drive from Georgia to Parris Island in SC and make much more money.  the medical field need to look at our pay and need to raise it. we work hard and deserve to be paid well.

thanks for listening

Ellen

•  11-18-2007, 12:29 AM

YOU NEED TO LOOK AROUND . I NEVER BEEN OFFER 9.35HR . CNA'S MAKE 8.75 AT THE HOSPITAL. THE LOWEST I'VE SEEN IS 11.47HR AND THAT WAS RIGHT OUTOF SCHOOL. PRN RATES ARE MUCH BETTER. AND WHEN I WAS LOOKING AT NY AFEW OF HOSPITALS WAS OFFERING 22-28HR PLUS BONUS IF YOU WHRER WILLING TO RELOCATE OR COMMUTE.
    HENDERSON
  •  11-18-2007, 10:09 AM

A published 2007 salary survry that I read had a sample of the average salaries of nurses across the country and concentrated on the LPN section of the survey.

According to the survey, the average annual income for  a fulltime LPN is $36,400. Regionally, the New England and Pacific  areas of the country pay the most, while the East South Central(Ala. Miss.) and Mountain(Colorado, Idaho) regions pay the least.

Long term care continues to be the LPN "market" where PN's make the most money and on average, have the least restrictions on their scope of practice.

$9.35 an hour or roughly $19, 500/yr seems rather insulting and not worthy of the work you'll be responsible for. Keep looking.      

•  11-27-2007, 9:31 PM

There are agencies and other facilities that pay you much better than that.
  •  12-03-2007, 2:35 PM

I have been working as a float nurse for 7 years and before that on a surgical floor in the hospital .I have been in my job for 31 years and only make 22 dollars an hour.
  •  12-03-2007, 3:01 PM

I'm a LPN in Ocean County and left a position at  a local hospital to work at the VA clinic where I took a $3 an hour pay cut.  I had worked at the hospital for over 37 years and I wasn't making $28 per hour.  I am impressed that the pay you received in Ocean County was that good. Good luck in your hunt.

•  12-03-2007, 5:44 PM

I WORK IN A NSG HOME IN EMPORIA AND THE LPN'S MAKE 15.00 PER HR. THE HOSPITAL PAYS MORE THAN THAT. I DO NOT WORK FOR AN AGENCY. THIS AMT IS FOR DAY SHIFT. THE OTHER SHIFTS GET MORE THAN THAT AMT.
  •  12-03-2007, 6:45 PM

8 years ago I moved from NJ to NC - was offered a job in a nursing home facility. At that time I had over 25 years nursing experience but
    "because you never worked in a nursing home before  I can only offer you $0.15 over the starting pay... I was making $ 9.15 an hour !!!

Needless to say I did not stay there very long ! 

•  12-03-2007, 7:09 PM

I too work in NJ, a sub-acute unit and receive $30/hr as well, the average salary for LPN's in my area os $23 - $28/hr.  A friend relocated to South Carolina recently and only could command $14/hr in that region, needless to say he has returned to NJ!  I am accustomed to my salary and could not cover my bills with a lower salary.  I think it too bad that you didn't research salaries prior to your move, afterall the cost of living might be lower but our bills don't lower just because we move!  Good luck.  I would suggest that you try an agency where you can expect a higher wage.
  •  12-04-2007, 1:17 AM

I live in Baltimore county Maryland and I am originally from Ohio. The wages over here

are about $5.00 per hour higher than I was ever used to.  And some places are paying

anywhere from $2.00 to $4.00 shift differential for evenings and nights.  I speak primarily

of nursing homes.  The rates are generally around $26 to $30 per hour for someone with

experience.  But, of course it is an offset since Maryland has some of the highest

cost of living factors in the whole area and not to mention the horribly high crime rate

in Baltimore itself.  

•  02-07-2008, 1:44 AM

hello.. I am graduating in May and I am looking for a job in North Jersey... any suggestions??
  •  12-02-2008, 10:50 PM

Just wanted to give a quick idea of wages in northern Illinois. New graduate LPNs starting out base pay in nursing homes is $19.00/hr. LPNs in the hospitals make typically about $5 or more less per hour than that. Unless you can find that rare job, where it doesn't. It is always interesting to see what wages are other places.
  •  12-17-2008, 10:31 AM

I have a few friend that work and live in Georgia.  They are LPN's and they makes about  $19.00-22.00/hr.  Maybe it could be the facility or the kind of nursing you are doing.  Do have any experience in home care or longterm care, i.e. nursing homes?  You might make more money in those area's.  You can also check working for an agency were you have more levarage to negotiate  once you have experience.
  •  12-17-2008, 10:35 AM

Well if you are graduating soon try geting a job somewhere that you did your clinicals,  All you need is 1 yr of med-surg experience and you can move around. Don't get stuck in just doing longter or nursing home job.  I have been and LPN for 14yrs and I have worked everywhere from nursing home, hospitals, clinics and jails, homecare, managed care etc.  Always try.