Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Estim contraindications

Last post 12-31-2010, 5:12 PM by Charisse Spence. 5 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  11-16-2007, 12:28 AM

Estim contraindications

hello to all PT's,

i have been a PT for 7 years, graduated in 2001.  i have learned in school that we are not allowed to use Estim within joint areas that contain any metal implants which includes TKR, THR, and spinal/ankle fusions containing metal materials such as rods and screws. Although Estim is a superficial modality, such implants may still conduct currents especially if the intensities are high and because such joint areas do not have a lot of soft tissue covering them to provide an insulating effect.  in my opinion, i continue to choose not to use Estim in such cases.  However, i have seen other PT's use Estim on such conditions.  Can anyone please share their perspectives on this topic?  and/or refer me to literature/research that says it is ok to use it.  Thank you!

•  11-26-2007, 10:25 PM

Re: Estim contraindications

What are your references on these contraindications? the standard contraindications do not list metal implants unless they are "exposed"
  •  12-12-2007, 8:02 AM

hello,there is no such "exposed metal implants"..even on joint areas with enough soft tissues around it the current can still pass to the metal imlants because our soft tissue can act as conductor and not insulator...however i can say that Estim can still be used even on the presence of metal implants as long as the probes are being placed on the proximal and distal bulk of the muscle..

•  12-23-2007, 5:24 AM

Hi. There is such thing as exposed metal, like if your patient has an existing External Fixator for managing fractures. For example, if one patient with a Colles Fx was managed with Ext. Fixation and now complaining of weakness esp of wrist extensors. The MMT probably is 1-2/5 bec of disuse weakness...In this kind of case, I may try to do a Russian Stim along the ECRB/ECRL to facilitate its contraction. I dont believe that this current will cause any harm to our patients just because of the presense of metal. I consider however that deep heating modalities applied directly to superficial implants is relatively contraindicated

•  01-28-2008, 9:58 AM

So many literature available saying either of contraindication and indication of ES for metal implants.However, one thing for sure is that it is not absolutely contraindicated.Most importantly. its your experience and clinical decision to the case.
  •  12-31-2010, 5:12 PM

Hello kuya Tyrone..ikaw tong taga butuan na ng part time teach sa bdc?