Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

shoe tying techniques

Last post 11-21-2007, 7:23 PM by Margaret Bardenett. 6 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  11-21-2007, 11:14 AM

shoe tying techniques

I am wondering if anyone knows of some tricks to assist with teaching children how to tie shoes.
  •  11-21-2007, 12:46 PM

Re: shoe tying techniques

Hi,

I teach it in reverse sequence so they feel successfull, then to motivate make a contract with parents to buy new shoes with laces.

•  11-21-2007, 1:15 PM

I have had good success with using a set of "practice" shoes.  I bought a pair of children's white tennis shoes (like Keds) and a pair of blue shoe laces.  Both shoes are laced the same way with one white and one blue lace and I show the child how to tie the shoe and then we break down the steps and only go as far as they are successful for that session.  This is done on the table - the colored laces help because the blue one remains with the right hand so they get visual feedback as well.  As they progress, I will replace the blue lace with a white and then eventually move onto their own shoes.  I have found by not using their own shoes to tie, it is less stressful and they don't have to "take" them home until they are able to complete the tying on their own. 

Most of my kids are between the ages of 5-7 and learn the basics within a month.  Then, we work on speeding up the task and working on the fine motor components invovlved.

Hope this made sense and helps. :-)

•  11-21-2007, 2:41 PM

I use a book that has the pictures of each step of the process and has a string of a different color for each hand.  I can't recall the name of the book but I bet it is in one of the pediatric catalogs.  I have had good success with it.
  •  11-21-2007, 3:08 PM

I learned this trick from another COTA ... use 2 different colored shoe laces to lace a sneaker up.  Then when you are giving instructions you would say, pick up the white lace, then pick up the blue lace.  It has worked wonders with my kids.  Also, I use the easy 'bunny lacing' method.  Good luck. 

Patricia
  •  11-21-2007, 4:02 PM

Hi, I use different techniques, depending on the child's response. Sometimes, I would use the book, "Red Lace, Yellow Lace" with the child. Other times, I would use the "Bunny ears" technique. I had also used backward chaining for greater success, especially with the cognitively slower students. In most cases, I find using 2 color laces very helpful. A colleague had also found using pipe cleaners as laces helpful in starting this activity with children, who are having a hard time in eye-hand coordination and hand manipulation. Good luck.  Amy
  •  11-21-2007, 7:23 PM

hi, i work in school K-12 and have had success with the following:  take a small shoe box and tape it shut.  put 2 holes on top and thread a length of  stiff lace or piece of clothesline through.  I have the kids hold the box between their legs while sitting and have them make an X, then put the lace on the top under the bridge and pull. Then make a tree(loop), next the bunny(other lace) runs around the tree and ducks his head into the hole at the base of the tree. When his ear pops out pinch it and then pinch the tree and pull....   I think having the area big enough for them to see what is happening helps so much.....have also use boardmaker pictures to symbolize steps. good luck.