Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

lpn-rn

Last post 06-18-2008, 11:42 PM by Sue Moss-Vaughan. 1 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  06-17-2008, 9:46 AM

lpn-rn

I have been looking into upgrading my license from LPN to RN as I'm tired of the lower pay scale and missed job opportunities.  My biggest gripe is the cost of obtaining the RN.  No longer can you become  a "diploma" RN and with the cost of college it is a substantial debt to incur.

I spent a year in full time classes and passed the NCLEX the first time out only to find that now all that work and 10+ years on the job mean nothing!  None of the current schools/online schools accept any of your previous studues EXCEPT for Fundamentals!  How can it be that if I had been able to continue for 1 more year, I would have become an RN.  But, now I have to start over and commit to excessive tuition/fees and 2+ years in school!  What I REALLY don't get is why everyone in your states' Nursing Boards cannot understand why more people aren't going into Nursing.  They have a pool of fit, trained, experienced and willing LPNs' to step up to the plate.  The Nursing Boards and the states need to reassess this and simplify the process;  not alone make it more affordable for the LPN to become an RN.  All the Nursing unions and organizations need to address this and then maybe the shortage of RNs will be substantially reduced.  What they have now are foreign nurses who suffer from a language barrier and therefore put a patient at risk.  Does anyone in charge see this?

ssllijlpn
  •  06-18-2008, 11:42 PM

Re: lpn-rn

I AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT THE DIFFICULTY OF LPN'S GOING ON TO BECOME RN'S. I HAVE LOOKED INTO THE ONLINE PROGRAMS AND THEY PROMISE TO GIVE LPN'S A LOAN. BUT THEY WANT YOU TO START PAYING BACK THE LOAN IN 30 DAYS. I CANNOT AFFORD TO TAKE ON ANOTHER PAYMENT OF 160+ DOLLARS PER MONTH. I AM A SINGLE PARENT. I HAVE 10+ YEARS EXPERIENCE AS A LPN. I HAVE TO WORK FULL-TIME AND CANNOT ATTEND A COLLEGE CLASSROOM. I ALSO FEEL LIKE THE BOARD OF NURSING, IN EACH OF OUR STATES, SHOULD MAKE IT EASIER FOR THE ONES OF US, SEASONED LPN'S, TO CHALLENGE THE RN BOARDS. WHATEVER AREA ( IF ANY ) THAT YOU DO NOT DO WELL ON, WE COULD THEN TAKE IN A CLASSROOM OR ONLINE. THAT WOULD REDUCE THE TIME AND EXPENSE THAT IT TAKES TO BECOME A RN. IT WOULD REALLY HELP TO INCREASE THE # OF RN'S OUT THERE TO WORK.

dwracing38