Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

MAGNET STATUS

Last post 11-23-2008, 1:08 PM by pagandevaY2K. 2 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  09-23-2008, 2:40 PM

MAGNET STATUS

I would love to hear from any LVN's/LPN'S working at a magnet classified medical center.

Particularily in regards to LVN-RN working relationships. How have you created collegia,l collaberative parternships in addressing issues of pt care and working conditions?

•  10-20-2008, 7:44 PM

Re: MAGNET STATUS

I was working in an hospital that has Magnet status,  now they are getting rid of their LPN's.   they had to either be Nurse Aides,  or go back to school.   so I do not have a good view of Magnet Status.
  •  11-23-2008, 1:08 PM

Re: MAGNET STATUS

I also do not support Magnet Status, because they are not inclusive of ALL nurses.  They are pro-RN (BSN in particular).  As mentioned, some hospitals tend to get rid of LPNs when they apply for Magnet.  Contrary to popular belief, not every LPN aspires to become an RN.  What I find to be particularly insane is that administrations do not seem to discourage or rid their facilities of CNAs, PCAs, techs, etc...but they have issues retaining the employment of licensed practical nurses.

My hospital went for Magnet last year and were rejected.  Now, they are insane enough to attempt again.  We are a union facility, so, it may be a bit harder to rid themselves of LPNs, but it doesn't mean that it can't happen further down the road.  I strongly believe that as long as I am working and am not a drain to society, what I choose to do with my career should not matter.

I have a decent relationship with the RNs I work with because I have no issues of what they think.  If it is the belief that we are not nurses, that is fine with me, because I am saddled with less headaches.  I get my assignment, do my work and don't get mixed in the politics. 

Don't run from the storm, dance in the rain!