Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Can LPN's specialize?

Last post 03-30-2009, 1:08 AM by Belinda Hayter. 5 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  10-12-2008, 11:40 AM

Can LPN's specialize?

I'm a stay at home mom, who has decided to return to school a few years ago. I always wanted to be a nurse. I  started nursing school orginally- when I  started college all those years ago. Although I wanted to go the RN route, do to the time and financial issues, the LPN path seems to be the best for me right now. I know there is alot of stigma's and lack of job oppurtunities in the field. This magazine gives me a new found respect and hope for the future! I want to make as much money as possible, can I specialize-without being an RN? I just got my CNA certification, but I know their is not much money to be made in this field. I don't know if any Hospital's in South Jersey train you on the job. Can LPN's take xta cources for more certifications? Thank you-
  •  12-02-2008, 8:00 AM

Re: Can LPN's specialize?

Yes, LPN's can specialize in some areas. I have been an LPN for 20 yrs and my specialty area is Developmental Disabilites. I have been in this field for 18 of my 20 yrs in nursing.

For more information on certification for RN's and LPN's go here www.ddna.org

Developmental Disabilities Certified
  •  12-29-2008, 9:37 PM

I have been an LPN for over 30 years and have worked in the emergency field and have gotten my IV certification and have worked with EMS and the Dr's in the Urgent Care.  My expertise is trauma related and the emergency room/urgent care setting.  I work now in an Urgent Care and Start IV's and assist the Dr in emergency procedures.  I am in the process of getting my RN and took my clinicals through Excelsior college three weeks ago.  I was not impressed with the process and may not continue getting my RN because it was all hospital setting.  The last time I worked in a hospital was 28 years ago.  My proctor said that my nursing skills were excellent and my bedside manner was great but I failed from because I didn't check my patient's arm band and then I got tangled in the IV line and the BP machine in a small hospital room.  I have enjoyed being an LPN and have done what I want in the trauma/emergency area of nursing.  Make sure that your state board of nursing approves of these specialties.  I got all my experience from working on an Indian Reservation in New Mexico and then after moving to Arizona, they don't let me do too much but you have to have all your certificates and licenses with you.  It helps to have as much training you want.  LPN's can specialize in Home Health, Nursing Home, Urgent Care, Dialysis and other areas you just have to look.  Good luck in your schooling.
  •  01-30-2009, 6:05 AM

Absolutely! I have been an LPN for over 20 years and have worked in acute care all this time. The majority of my career was spent working in the Orthopedic population and 5 years ago I had the opportunity to step into Infection Control and have not looked back since. I fulfilled the requirement at the time of two years in the field with specific Infection Control education training and applied for the certification exam. I successfully passed this exam and now add "CIC" after my LPN title. There are only a handful of certified LPN's in this field and I happily count myself as one. I love the work I am doing and have renewed spark for more education. Although I do not plan on pursuing an RN degree (do not need that for this role) I seek out and attend many conferences, webinars and seminars that are related to my field. I still have patient contact and enjoy the education role with them as well as staff. It is a very engaging field of practice, right on the front burner with Administration and well supported. I learn something new everyday and work with a top notch team of nurses in my Department. We are currently opening up literally in a couple of weeks a brand new facility and Infection Control has been involved with planning and placement of several construction and design details. Along with all the regular duties of this role, I have had many opportunites to learn and implement new ideas. If there is a field you are interested in, check out their organizations and look into if they offer a certification. Do not let anyone tell you that being an LPN has limitations, there are alot of areas that we can contribute to and be successful not only for ourselves but our patients and staff as well. Best of luck!

Brenda K.
  •  03-22-2009, 9:49 AM

I have been an LPN for over 20 years.  I am ready to retire and have only one home care client left then I am OUTA HERE.

I had a few specialities along the way, because I liked to keep the career interesting.  I was certified in wound care, Gerontology, Basic Life Support Instructor (14 years- wayyy tooo long),  Then I had a few years where all of my clients were vent-dependent spinal injuries, which I really loved. I love trachs and also some end of life care although I would not want to be doing that all the time.

We have a rich homecare field where I live and you can make alot of money just going out on your own for homecare.  Priate Duty.  You will need malpractice insurance first and foremost and a business plan.  I have been doing this the last 5 years of my career.

Almost quit a couple of times to work with animals when people either disgusted me to no end OR broke my hearts so bad I didn't think I could do another day...

Good luck to all you newbies and those who continue to carry the torch...."You're a nurse...You Make A Difference"  LOVE THAT JOHNSON & JOHNSON COMMERCIAL, so true.

DONATE LIFE-Transplantation Works
  •  03-30-2009, 1:08 AM

Dear Abbie:

I have been an LPN for 14 years, my specialty was in Pediatrics.  We have moved to Lake City, FL recently and I want to do private duty nursing.  How did you like that?  Is there any advice you can give me or anyone out there?  And the private duty is going to be with the elderly.  I just took a 25 CEU from Western Schools in Alzheimer's.  I felt that this would help me greatly.  I plan on getting professional liability insurance and become bonded. 

Thanking you in advance for any tips you can give me.

Belinda A. Hayter, LPN