Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

LPN's in Hospice

Last post 11-10-2008, 10:53 PM by Bruce Schumer. 3 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  10-18-2008, 8:49 AM

LPN's in Hospice

I would like to hear from other LPN's working in hospice.  I have been a hospice nurse for the last two years and it's just where I want to be.  I have found though, that my particular company has policies that really restrict LPN's in what we can and can't do.  I realize that scopes of practice vary from state to state.  I live in New Jersey.  So, I would love to hear what my LPN colleagues in hospice are doing in the course of a day.....thanks.
  •  10-20-2008, 11:15 PM

Re: LPN's in Hospice

Hello I live in NJ also. I do not work Hospice but I considered it at one point. What is it like? My job (drug rehab/HIV) might be closing and I am looking for something that does not involve lifting since I have a back problem.
  •  10-29-2008, 2:53 PM

shirley   i work in hospice 4 years now as a continiuos care nurse. Basically glorified babysitting from 7p to 8a. I do love it as i meet so many nice people in thier most vulnerable states. there is some lifting as u have to bathe and clean them when they go to the bathrom on ur shift. alot like cna work in that respect. I went into it also as i have had 5 hernia surgeries and need another but have refused. so yes thier is lifting turning and repositioning. the ones that are to heavyn have hoyer lifts. Good luck. its defifnitely better than rehab,hiv as i was charge nurse of both units. it it is very boring nat times do a lot of reading. nancy
  •  11-10-2008, 10:53 PM

I have been a hospice nurse for over 11 years. It is the greatest job I have had and I get as much out of it as i give. I am an on call runner at night and go out mainly for emergencys. The people I have met, the stories I have to tell is amazing. I have my BS in Biology from Penn State and did Biological research for many years. i never thought I would use my nursing degree as i had a Lucite furniture business for over 30 years. I did one hospice shift and fell in love with it. Someday I hope to write a book. /Bruce