Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Advice needed

Last post 02-28-2009, 7:41 PM by Mary Johnson. 5 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  12-13-2008, 9:26 AM

Advice needed

I work in a nursing home that has alot of problems with the staff,the techs have been able to get away with so much for so long ,I have started writing some of them up,well I wrote one up for clocking in to early and not working,she told me that I was not in charge of her and she wasnt going to listen to me anymore,I would not ask this person to do anything that I would not do,and that was just to get one person up out of bed,well 2 days later I had some vandalisem on my van that could have cost me my life as well as others that were in my van too..I have brought this to the DON and nothing has been done about it,in talking with other nurses I have found out that this has been done before.Do you think I should find another job? for the safety of my life? I did make a police report also..but im trying to do the right thing for the safety of the patients,but feel like im fighting a loosing battle..thank you for listening and any input?
  •  12-30-2008, 10:02 AM

Re: Advice needed

That one is simple- if you have advised your DON about the situation, and she does nothing, go over her head.Everyone has a supervisor, so they should at LEAST hear your complaint. If you havr an HR department, or EO office, I would file a complaint there as well.
    Artificial Intelligence Is no match for natural stupidity.
  •  12-30-2008, 12:42 PM

You need to look for another job there are lots out there regardless of the economy. all the best

•  01-05-2009, 5:25 PM

What I would do is simply see who did it by recording your car after you have asserted your dominance. Then show that video to your DON. SHE/HE would have to do something then. Going over your DON's head might have some serious consiquences as well. Most likely making working where you are now immpossible to do so. Either way you are screwed. Find the ***(s) who did it and everything afterwards is clear sailing. You are the nurse, you are their boss... Done deal - Alex
  •  02-12-2009, 5:56 PM

When the staff runs the facility, NOT administartion, there's a serious problem, especially for the nurses. I was in a similar situation myself, and I opted to get a new job, it took me 6 months to make that decision, because I cared about my residents and their families, but, I worked too hard for my license to let someone else take it away for their stupidity. Only you can decide to leave and get a new job, it's about what you as a person, not a nurse can deal with, as far as harrassment, insubordination, staff not caring for the residents, and the list goes on. You stating vadalism on your van, what will they do next???  I worked at a facility that went on strike for pennies on the dollar, but the staff (ignorant nurses also) beat up anyone who tried to get into the facility and provide care the 240 residents. Ambulances were destroyed trying to take residents for dialysis, to the hospital, they would not let meds be delivered, it was terrible. Finally the state government got involved, the strike and picket line ended (which I never attended) and now all these so called care givers were back to work. The facility was being sued by the Ambulance Co., pharm, and famliy members. All the while the residents were scared to death because they watched this behavior from their bedroom windows, and because it was a "union" job, even though administration had these acts recorded on video, none of these monsters lost their jobs. That's what happens when "staff" runs a facility, not administration.

I would get a new job.

•  02-28-2009, 7:41 PM

You'd be surprised how often this goes on, and so-called "administration" turns a blind eye and deaf ear to it. Unfortunately there is no easy answer to it. You have to balance the concerns of your safety and the safety and care of the residents you would leave behind if you left. For yourself it would probably be beneficial and safer to find another job, but there's no guarantee things would be better at another facility, like I said it happens A LOT!!! As for the patients, you can always turn to outside sources to come investigate the care they are receiving. Even administrators who are previously stagnant in dealing with inappropriate staff hold them more accountable when state is in the building.