Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

LPN licesnes good in other states.

Last post 06-24-2009, 10:38 PM by Craig Murphy. 7 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  02-12-2009, 12:20 AM

LPN licesnes good in other states.

Hi,

I was thinking of moving to Oklahoma or Missori form Illinois. I wondered if that would require retaking the test or just a new license renwal. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance, Linda

•  02-13-2009, 7:40 AM

Re: LPN licesnes good in other states.

It's highly unlikely that you would need to retest. Many states are now considered "compact states" , meaning that if you wish to work in that state they will accept your license from another state, that is of course AFTER you pay a fee. Check with your Board of Nursing. They could answer your questions.
    Developmental Disabilities Certified
  •  02-13-2009, 9:35 AM

Sorry, Linda, but none of those states are part of the Nurse Licensure Compact. Here's the link to that site: https://www.ncsbn.org/158.htm 

Good luck.

Tom

•  03-12-2009, 11:45 PM

HELLO LINDA, I AM AN LPN FROM NEW YORK, AND AS FAR AS I AM AWARE, IF YOU DID NOT RECIEVE YOUR LICENSE IN NEW YORK, FLORIDA OR CALIFORNIA, YOU MAY BE REQUIRED TO TAKE THE STATE IN WHICH YOU ARE INTERESTED IN WORKING IN, THEIR BOARD TESTS TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH CREDIT HOURS OR EXPERINCE. I WAS A TRAVELING NURSE FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS, AND ALL I HAD TO DO WAS TO APPLY TO THE STATE IN WHICH I WAS WORKING IN AT THE TIME, FOR EITHER A TEMPORARY PERMIT OR THEIR STATE LPN LICENSE. I WAS NOT REQUIRED TO TAKE ANY FURTHER TESTS. I WISH YOU LUCK, AND PLEASE, IF YOU FIND THE INFORMATION THAT I GAVE YOU WAS WRONG, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LET ME KNOW. MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS  MATTHEWSLPN@YAHOO.COM AND MY NAME IS  SHARI MATTHEWS
  •  03-17-2009, 12:02 PM

• Ro is not online. Last active: 05-29-2017, 10:49 PM Ro
    • Joined on 01-03-2008
    • Bloomingdale, NJ
    • 2 Posts

I believe it is called License By Endorsement, but again, check with the Nursing Board for that particular area.
  •  03-18-2009, 10:23 PM

You need to check with the licensing board in the state that you are planning on moving.  I had moved to south carolina and was able to obtain a licence there, by filling out required forms and paying a fee.  However, they required that I kept my state of original licensure license active.  There are special requirements for each state. 
  •  06-12-2009, 3:00 AM

• Martin is not online. Last active: 05-29-2017, 11:37 PM Martin
    • Joined on 06-12-2009
    • LVN Med/Psych
    • Self Employed
    • Hayward, CA
    • 5 Posts

Just to throw a wrench in the works.

I challenged the LVN Boards in California after getting out of the Army. The catch? I am stuck in California due to the fact that no other state, that I know of, will allow me to work in their state due to a lack of "class room" education.

There is always the expection to the rule. Your best be is to call the nursing board of the state you plan to move to. Just make sure they give you the information in writing. 

50-1-50.com
  •  06-24-2009, 10:38 PM

Did you move from New York to South Carolina......I am currently looking to move to South Carolina and I am wondering what I will have to do in order to work down there/transfer my license?  Anyone with an answer???