Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Are you a second career nurse?

Last post 06-07-2009, 11:07 AM by Deborah. 2 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  02-18-2009, 1:12 PM

Are you a second career nurse?

Let's hear from second career nurses? How did you get involved in nursing? Are you satisfied with your new career?
  •  06-04-2009, 6:10 PM

Re: Are you a second career nurse?

Yes, I attended nursing school when I was 35 yo having being laid off with 10 years service from a major Chemical Company.   I have a BS degree in Business Admin/Secretarial Science.  I've been an LPN for 12 years now and I am feeling the physical demands.  In hindsight,  I should have capitalized on my  BS and studied Medical Records, etc. rather than try and reinvent the wheel.  I  just completed a course in Medical Billing and Coding and feel that I am reinventing the wheel again since all the jobs seem to require starting at the very bottom again.  So presently I am unsettled and unsure of how to proceed.
  •  06-07-2009, 11:07 AM

Re: Are you a second career nurse?

Hi,

I am 51 yrs old, have severe spinal osteoarthritis, and have had recent cervical surgery for spinal stenosis. I understand exactly what you are saying about the physical demands of nursing. Before you reinvent the wheel again :), please keep in mind that your LVN/LPN can serve you in other career fields besides hands on nursing. I too didn't receive my nursing license until I was in my 30's. Before that, I worked in a convenience store as a cashier, and had been a nurse’s aid while in high school.

I am currently one of two "Communicable Disease Investigators" for my county; the other nurse is a LVN as well. I also help run a "Travel Clinic" for vaccinations as well as vaccinations for local elementary school children. While these positions do have a physical aspect to them, they are far less physically demanding than working in a hospital or clinic. Before this current position, I worked for 10 years in Utilization Review and referrals. This position was as non-physical as any clerical position. I know several LVN/LPN that are employed in non-tradition nursing too. So don't give up, the jobs are out there, and it may well be worth your time to look into what local and national government jobs have to offer. Although with the state of the economy lately, I understand all jobs are a bit scarce. With your bachelor’s degree, this will be a real bonus to any employer.

Best of luck, and best wishes!

~Deborah

California LVN