Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Advice for New grad LPN

Last post 03-27-2009, 8:55 PM by Ronald Fountain. 2 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  02-19-2009, 4:14 PM

Advice for New grad LPN

I am a new grad LPN. I just obtained a New York license via reciprocity from NJ. First of all, the whole process of obtaining a license after graduating is rediculously too long. There are work permits but they are only for new grads who haven't taken the NCLEX exam. What are you supposed to do for the 4 weeks after you pass the exam (that is how long it took me just to get my lic #. I couldn't work because my permit was no longer valid)? Anyway, I finally got my lic. and would really appreciate any advice. I am really nervous about my first job. Plus, I am a little young. I am 21. I have faced some descrimination in class and on clinicals. It was discouraging a little bit, but when I graduated (1 of 8 out of 25 students) I was very confident, very self-conscious ( I knew I had something to prove to my teachers and classmates; that I was serious and compassionate and responsible)  and I believe I was one of the better nurses in my class in the end. I hope I don't run into the same descrimination in a new job. Thank You for responding.    
  •  03-27-2009, 8:38 PM

Re: Advice for New grad LPN

Hi Chanel I just read your message and first of all congratulations on comnpleting your program and passing your boards!! I was the same age you were when I atttended the LPN program the first( I dropped out 2wks before graduation didnt wnat to be a nurse, go figure?) In case you havent found employment already you will soon learn that it is a difficult market out here for LPN's but if you show any prospective employer or futrue co-workers how confidnet you are you knowledge skills and abilities, it will be a benefit in landing you that job and put fellow staff members at ease in knowing that they wont have to follow up behind you and check over your work. What ever you do do not let anyone just tell you thast your're just an LPN. take as many certification and advanced training classes as you can it wil make you more valuble as an employee and loooks good for future employers. Once again congrats and good luck on your new career.
  •  03-27-2009, 8:55 PM

Re: Advice for New grad LPN

Hello Chanel, I just read your post and first let me say congratulations on completing your program and passing your boards. I dont your age was a factor in the resentment you recieved from your teachers and classmates, I was your age when i attended LPN school the first time/ I dropped out 4 weeks before graduation, didnt want to be a nurse go figure! It may have your confidence and abilities. It is a tough program and a lot of people do struggle to get through it. But that that confidence compassion and sense of responsability is what will get you your first job if you are not working already especillay with coworkers, knowing that they will not have to keep checking over your work. a word of advice from personal experience dont let co-workers classify you as just an LPN you are also a Nurse. take as many classes and get as many certifiactions as you can it will kook good to current and future employers. oNce again congratualtions and good luck with your new career.