Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Multisensory Room advice

Last post 03-03-2009, 2:51 PM by LC.. 2 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  02-17-2009, 6:57 PM

Multisensory Room advice

I am coodinating a project with OT & OTA students working collaboratively to assess adults with DD, and then will recommend the design of 2 multisensory rooms for their use. This is in a supported employment-day activity center in central Minnesota. I am asking for input/suggestions as to your experience with SI environment designs; what works & doesn't work; what to avoid; what you would do if you could design a room?

Thanks

Lucy Crea, COTA/L

College of St. Catherine

Mpls. Mn

•  02-25-2009, 2:22 PM

Re: Multisensory Room advice

My first thought is to prevent sensory overload. I have visited some classrooms that have so much going on I felt overwhelmed. Can you break up the rooms with dividors and have different themes?

•  03-03-2009, 2:51 PM

• LC. is not online. Last active: 09-19-2019, 6:44 PM LC.
    • Joined on 03-03-2009
    • Long Island City, NY
    • 4 Posts

Re: Multisensory Room advice

Hi,In a supported employment-day activity center,It is not clear to me, what kind of job they are to perform but It comes to mind that you are enhancing their work performance?Example if I had a patient or more than one which were overtimulated visually or auditorilly etc I would start from there,How much stimuli can each indiviual handle?If I wanted a patient to work on something(assembling pens)I would rather diminish the unncessary stimulations that can distract them from the goal I have in mind for them.Overstimulation might interfere with thier ability to focus with a task at hand if they don't really need it to function.An example would be...I might think that relaxing music would help someone relax and focus better.Well not for all..some people with auditory processing problems might find it disturbing and others might perceived it as intolerable to where they can't focus at all.I would think you want to fit the person in the environment that encourages his maximal potential and function.Diminishing or augmenting stimuli to an environment would then depend on the indiviual pt.and his needs nor not for sensory stim.I would group the ones that could benefit for ex: relaxing music,others from visual stimulation and so forth.If I could design a room,I would think of what things can I use, that are cost effective...and that would likely stimulate patients performance rather than hinder.One rooms would probably mostly include the bare essentials for them to perform,while the other room might have subtle background music,given the treating porpulation(Adults with DD).I hope this can help some...Good luck with your project!Remember,think function..
    L.C. OTR/L