Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

CPC vs. RHIT

Last post 04-12-2017, 5:05 AM by owlsarepretty01 owlsarepretty018. 11 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  03-04-2009, 6:48 PM

CPC vs. RHIT

In the coding world, what are the most sought after credentials by employers when it comes to becoming an inpatient coder?  I am currently a CPC and am working towards my RHIT.  I have found it difficult to find employers that are looking for CPC’s.  Everyone wants a CCS or a RHIT.  In the interviews I have had it seems as though my CPC credentials were overlooked, almost as if they’ve never even heard of CPC credentials. 

Recently I took a position as an outpatient coder and before I took the position I was asked to work on getting “accredited credentials (RHIT)”.  I’m just confused because I worked so hard to become a CPC and now I don’t know if it was worth it or if it’s worth the money to renew my membership with the AAPC.

Does anyone have any insight on this to offer?

Amanda B., CPC
  •  03-04-2009, 7:15 PM

Re: CPC vs. RHIT

Suffice it to say that sometimes it is incumbent upon the employee to educate the employer.  Although I understand your plight, your credential is for physician/provider-based coding.  The hospitals are seeking folks who carry credentials specific to their setting.

Kevin B. Shields, RHIT, CCS, CPC, CCS-P, CPC-H, CPC-P, CPC-I
  •  03-06-2009, 8:00 PM

• Christine Goans is not online. Last active: 03-06-2017, 9:27 PM Christine Goans
    • Joined on 02-24-2008
    • Manager, Coding and Educational Consultant Medical Coding Consultant and Instructor
    • Various Veteran Admin and Private Hospitals
    • WA
    • 21 Posts

Amanda

Some of my students have experienced the same thing, the reason is we live in a state that does not have a AAPC chapter and many of the coders already at the facility are AHIMA certified so the employer was more familiar with that Certification.

What we have done in our class is develope a dialogue that explains the CPC certification and what they have done to prepare themselves for the inpatient or whatever position they are applying for.  Each of the organizations have positive and negatives.  It is up to you in the interview to relax and educate who you are interviewing with about why you feel your experience and certification qualify you for their opening.

If they want you to have an RHIT I would inquire about how the RHIT certification would apply to the position.

As an employer and someone who has been in the medical field for over 20 years I can honestly say I have never not hired someone for an inpatient or any coding role based on what certification they have.   I have quite a few employees and they are a mixture of both certifications.

If I was you I would renew my dues for AAPC and I would also become a member of AHIMA because they are not both offering the same information to coders today and there are other organizations I would become a member of also if you can afford it.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions at all and I invite you to email me at any time and join my Yahoo Coding groups and visit my website everything on them is free.  Christine.Goans@gmail.com  Christine.Goans@va.gov

Christine Goans & Company
    www.medical-coding-resources.com
    Coding Smarter Office Support Plus
    Consulting and Educational services
  •  03-11-2009, 11:46 PM

• Melissa is not online. Last active: 01-07-2017, 1:32 PM Melissa
    • Joined on 03-12-2009
    • Health Unit Clerk Labor and Delivery
    • The Nebraska Medical Center
    • 2 Posts

I've asked myself the same question, so THANK YOU for the answer!  I'm in the middle of my coding program, so I've been browsing job posting for the past year.  I keep wondering what the difference is between the RHIT credential and other coding credentials.  It's all so confusing!  It never occured to me that the employer doing the hiring might also be lacking information on what's behind each credential.

•  03-12-2009, 10:04 PM

Christine,

Thanks for the good information.  Where do I go to join your Yahoo coding groups?  As for becoming a member of AHIMA, do I need to be credentialed through them or can I just join their organization?  I'm not too farmiliar with them.

Amanda 

Amanda B., CPC
  •  03-13-2009, 3:16 AM

Hi Melissa,

The difference between the RHIT and the other coding credentials is that the RHIT is a credential that is solely education based.  The only people who can take that test are those who have been through a 2 year HIM degree program accredited by AHIMA.  The RHIT is designed to demostrate entry-level knowledge of health information managment as a whole whereas the coding credentials are designed to demonstrate specialized coding expertise.  The current trend is for hospitals to prefer the CCS to the RHIT when it comes to inpatient coding positions.  The reason for that trend is an understanding that the RHIT is not specialized to coding, but the CCS is.  The CCS is a two-part exam: first part is closed book consisting of 60 multiple choice questions specific to coding guidelines and other aspects of medical coding and the second part consists of 13 full medical record cases (6 inpatient and 7 outpatient) that are in a booklet.  No choices are given in this part of the exam: the candidate must code these records free-lance and enter their codes into the computer screen and the only resource available is the basic ICD-9 and CPT coding book (no encoder or Internet access or access to other coding-specific reference books save a medical dictionary).  It is important to be informed about each credential so that you can educate other employers accordingly and the best source for that information in the organization's website which offers the said credential as AHIMA or AAPC.  Below are some specific links to more information.

http://www.aapc.com/certification/Documents/Exm-Application-WE.pdf  (details about AAPC credentials)

http://www.ahima.org/certification/documents/CCS_CCSP_CCA_000.PDF (details about AHIMA credentials)

http://www.ahima.org/emerging_issues/CodersWanted.pdf (Nationwide survey of employers on issues of issues of coding credentials)

FYI, a search of the various coding credential on Career Builder by any location, under healthcare, and for the last 30 days (done on 2/8/2009) revealed these results:Careerbuilder.com  Notice how consistent these results are with the survey above especially with regards to the CCS and RHIT being at the top of the list.  You can do your own similar search on other job sites as well and see if you get similar results.

CCS 448

RHIT 429

RHIA 409

CPC 325

CCS-P 151

CPC-H 83

Christina Benjamin
    Independent Coding & Education Consultant
    Email: cmbenjamin@bellsouth.net
    www.tools4coding.com

•  04-01-2009, 4:12 PM

Melissa -  I agree.  If an employer hasn't heard of AHIMA or CAHIIM, you're going to have to educate them.  I would tell them that health information and clinical coding are accredited through CAHIIM.  You don't need to overload them with information.  If you have one of their publications to leave with them (one you've already read through), it can go a long way.  :)    Kit.
  •  06-04-2013, 12:34 PM

I am just curious as to which direction i need to go. I am in school now and the main focus is on the CPC but i am hearing about the RHIT is better, As far as my job possibilities which do u think would be a better route to take.
    BRia
  •  06-06-2013, 12:49 PM

Briant,

It all depends on what type of career focus you are interested in.  For physician's office coding you could use the CPC credential, but for hospital coding you would need the RHIT or CCS.

•  08-10-2013, 3:36 PM

Briant, I too am new in the medical family. I started looking at billing and coding, but found that RHIT/RHIM is just so much more. I enjoy the options that this field gives me, not to mention getting coding experience too.  Good luck in your venture.
  •  08-26-2013, 6:14 PM

Amanda,

I have experienced this in my area as well. Although I am working towards my RHIT, there are several coders who have their CPC and no RHIT. This has recently become an issue since the employers want an RHIT. I was told that many coders get their CPC because the testing is easier than an RHIT. Is this true?

•  04-12-2017, 5:05 AM

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Lucida Grande'}

Hello! Very interesting topic, thank you raised it