Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

COTAs in the school sys

Last post 10-13-2009, 9:43 AM by Stacy Sizemore. 2 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  10-01-2009, 10:57 PM

COTAs in the school sys

I am considering a position in the school system as a COTA and I'm not totally clear on what a COTA can and can't do such as the IEP and goals. As far as the IEP what is a COTA allowed to update, change, add or delete? I do not remember all of the specifics about the school system such as the IEP, daily/weekly notes, and who does what. Can anyone clear this up for me please.
  •  10-05-2009, 2:37 PM

Re: COTAs in the school sys

I think COTA expectations will vary by state s well as your expereice working in the schol.  I work in the school system and we have a COTA who has worked here for almost 20 years and is fantastic. She is not allowed to give our assessments because she can not 'qualify' a students for services. She can however carry out therapy, write porgress notes, bill Medicaid and attend annual IEP meetings. She also meets once a week with the OTs to discuss therapy plans and interventin stratagies.

She does not do any of the consult work in the district per our Director of Sped, but she legally could. 

•  10-13-2009, 9:43 AM

Re: COTAs in the school sys

I agree with the other person that the regs. may differ from state to state.  Our COTA was an awesome woman who worked with us on helping with treatment ideas, wrote her notes that we signed off on, she went to meetings, and assisted with collaboration with the teachers and instructional assistants.  The school system is a great place to work especially if you have children of your own.