Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

OT's splinting fractures

Last post 11-10-2010, 8:53 PM by Hibet Melgoza. 1 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  09-17-2010, 6:35 PM

OT's splinting fractures

I'm an acute care OT and there are two busy hand surgeons on staff.  Lately, their new PA is writing orders for OT to splint non operative comminuted fractures of the distal/proximal radius/ulna or distal humerus. I think he is just being lazy in not casting/setting the fractures himself and I am very uncomfortable that this out of the scope of OT.  Any thoughts or info would be appreciated!!
  •  11-10-2010, 8:53 PM

Re: OT's splinting fractures

Michelle, splinting is something that is under our scope of practice as OTs.  In a way, I'm excited to hear that you are being referred these cases for these purposes since many times we get jumped over and instead the PTs receive these referrals.  Also, just because something is under our scope of practice does not mean that we are comfortable doing it.  We need to ensure competency to make sure that we are indeed implementing interventions appropriately and safely.  Perhaps you could seek mentorship from another health professional that has experience with these types of splints.  This would be a really good idea that would help you to be more comfortable.  Maybe you could consult with the PA or the hand surgeons.........  Would this be a possibility for you?