Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Pediatric Therapist

Last post 12-19-2010, 10:17 AM by Tonya. 1 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  10-14-2010, 1:48 PM

Pediatric Therapist

Hi!

I am starting my second year as a school based OT and aspire to becoming a outpatient pediatric OT. I am wondering how I can get to that point where an outpatient pediatric direct therapy setting will consider me as a competent therapist. The reason I ask is because in my current position, I am an indirect service provider, which, during most interviews, becomes the end of me being a potential employee. I am worried that by taking this position directly out of OT school, that I may have committed career suicide, because in the midwest where I live, I am not viewed to be a "true OT" by those direct service providers.  Any direction or ideas would be helpful! Thank you!  :)

•  12-19-2010, 10:17 AM

Re: Pediatric Therapist

Man, that sounds very frustrating.  I am in California, and we have a great program called California Children Services (CCS).  Every state has a program that services the kids.  I recommend that type of program to get some experience.  Many places will hire new grads.  You want a place that has a lot of therapists, where you can learn from their experience.  Sorry I don't know much about your area (midwest).

Tonya
    http://www.therapyfunzone.com