Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Sensory Strategies

Last post 02-08-2011, 11:29 PM by Wendy Hof. 4 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  11-14-2010, 6:50 PM

Sensory Strategies

Anybody have some ideas on possible deep pressure strategies for a child who does not want to wear a weighted vest?  This is for a 2nd grade student with sensory needs and is always very active. 
  •  11-15-2010, 8:13 PM

Re: Sensory Strategies

Krystal, you could consider other activities or approaches such as having the student use a "fanny pack" with weights or even a backpack with weights or books in it.  Does he have any tactile sensitivities or is there any particular reason why he may not want to use the weighted vest?

Maybe you can also have him try wearing a garment that provides deep pressure without weight such as a stretchable elastic exercise belt that people put around their waist.  Even having him carry weighted objects as part of an activity can give him input to slow his engine down...... Hope this helps! 

•  11-16-2010, 6:38 PM

I am currently working on my Masters degree in Utica College in Occupational Therapy.  We are in our pediatric coursework right now.  One of the deep pressure techniques we were shown in class was using the large rolling pins and make the child crawl through it like a "press".  You can have them crawl on a mat while you "roll or press" them out with this large rolling pin to provide deep pressure.  There is also a body sock that might be fun.  I think if you make it into a game and relate it to something they like then you have more of a chance of it working.  For example, if they like dinosaurs, have the child wear a green body sock and pretend hes a dinosaur all day.  Just a thought and hope that helps!!
  •  11-17-2010, 8:16 PM

I like the idea about the back pack and fanny pack.  This would be great and discrete so that he could use it throughout various parts of his school day.  Yesterday I talked about the possibility of this with the teacher and she seems to be on board since it's something that she can use easily in the class.  We had the student carry his backpack with books during transitions in and out of the class and it seemed to help him slow down and he was well behaved.  It was a success!  Thank you for the tip because transitions are an issue with him. 

•  02-08-2011, 11:29 PM

I've found some children will be more willing to wear a t-shirt or under-shirt that is a size or two smaller, giving them a snug, tight fit and offering sensory grounding.  We've also used backpacks filled with books or other heavy safe objects. 

Is there a reason they don't want to use the vest?  Do they not want to be "different" than their peers? siblings?