Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Medical Billing & Coding

Last post 08-09-2016, 5:19 AM by Kevin Bradley. 51 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (52 items)   1 2 3 4 Next >
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  01-05-2011, 12:06 PM

Medical Billing & Coding

Hello, I am wanting to gather up some information on this field. How long has everyone been in or knew that this is what they wanted to do? Is the pay great? Do you like/love your job? Just to ask a few question. I am currently in school for this field. Will I enjoy this? I heard the pay was descent but the people you end up working with is whats the best. I sure hope so.
  •  01-12-2011, 8:36 PM

Re: Medical Billing & Coding

Hi Amy! I have been in the HIM field for 16yrs but coding for 11yrs. I just want to say that one misconception that most HIM Related Graduates have is that graduates are EXPECTING to earn high salaries and to obtain Coding Jobs because afterall wasnt that the reason we all went to school and entered in the H.I.M. Field? Unfortunately and Realisticly speaking- Most Hospitals want to hire Coders with Experience and Credentials of CCS and/or RHIT. But how do you get experience when hospitals dont want to hire you? Well, often times a graduate will have to take another entry level job and lower paying job such as medical records technician, birth certificate clerk etc to obtain some type of experience and at least that positon will get your foot in the door. A great work ethic is also a plus. I myself also started at the bottom as a clerk and eventually moved up the ladder as an opt coder and now my present position as an Inpt coder. Often times, hospitals like to hire and train their coders from within and if at least you already hold a HIM position from within- I believe you have a better chance to be given the opportunity to code. So, the question to New Graduates is Are you willing to take a non-coding position with a lower salary to gain experience in the H.I.M field and then maybe later be given the opportunity to gain a Coding Position? Many are not but if you really are interested in the Coding Field- then you may just have to end up doing that. Well, I hope all this helps you to get a better understanding of the Coding Field at least from my point of view.
  •  01-16-2011, 6:37 PM

As a student myself in the coding field, I have also worked in the medical field for 10 years and have been helping my physicians improve their dictating and documenting over the years and learned alot on my own. I tell you though, if you can find the right physician to work for and help them achieve their reimbursement for procedures they will treat you like gold. I find the field extremley challenging and there is always something new to learn. Good luck with school!
  •  02-01-2011, 4:50 PM

hi  ragen

i think i agree with you I'm currently taking  this course  but i have a friend  she just graduate a year ago, and she is doing great, she told me exactly the same as long as you get your dr to their reimbursement for procedures  he will adore you, i hope i can find a good work and become good at my job, I'm very exited...

•  02-02-2011, 1:11 PM

Hi Melinda, I am also a student in the HIT field and am very nervous about getting a job after I graduate, because I did notice looking for a job that most places are looking for experience and I have none, this is a whole new field for me... I also want to become a coder but understand that I might need to start at a lower paying job, but I am okay with that because I think it will give me some experience...  Being a coder for 11 years do you still enjoy your job and reviewing the medical records everyday... Also was it hard at first, when you started to become a coder, I am really nervous because in class you are learning just the basics, not coding from a medical chart and I know there are some high expectations for coders.... Well thank you for listening to me, this is my first time using the forum, and I found it quite interesting to read what everyone had to say.  Thank you.
  •  02-25-2011, 4:42 AM

Jane LaMare:
    Hi Melinda, I am also a student in the HIT field and am very nervous about getting a job after I graduate, because I did notice looking for a job that most places are looking for experience and I have none, this is a whole new field for me... I also want to become a coder

I agree with you Jane LaMare. I'm also nerves about getting job.

http://www.mynetpharma.com
  •  03-02-2011, 1:03 PM

Now is a great time to be entering the medical coding arena. Lots of changes coming up over the next 2 years for both physician billing and hospital billing. (new claim submission requirements, implementation of ICD-10 that will impact physicians, hospitals, and other associated services impacting medical billing and coding) Coders and billers will be in demand by a variety of organizations that support these types of services. (I'm speaking as someone who has been involved in this areas for years....)  Good Luck!
  •  03-02-2011, 1:30 PM

I agree, ICD-10 will create many new job opportunities!

But my question is: Anyone here, in school or working with experience, looking to get your CCS certification soon or after school? How are your preparing for the exam? Or anyone already holding their CCS, any advice? And how has it helped you in your in career?

mw
  •  03-06-2011, 7:14 PM

Hello,

I would also love to have some advice on obtaining certification along with knowing if there is a major difference between getting a certificate in Medical Billing and Coding vs an Associates, vs a Bachelors degree?

•  03-07-2011, 8:14 PM

Hi Melinda:

I enjoyed reading your post and being a student with a twist is that I am an older student and feel my road will be very uphill.  I am looking for a career change and still feel I have many good years of working to experience.  I chose this field not necessarily to only make more money but to develop a new career.  I feel from the beginning until I do get experience this will most likely be a lateral move.  I do agree with your assessment is to climb the rope to build experience.  At age 59 I hope I have enough rope to climb.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts and if you can add any words of wisdom, I would appreciate it.

Jackie MacDowell

•  03-09-2011, 12:58 AM

Amy Davis:
    Hello, I am wanting to gather up some information on this field. How long has everyone been in or knew that this is what they wanted to do? Is the pay great? Do you like/love your job? Just to ask a few question. I am currently in school for this field. Will I enjoy this? I heard the pay was descent but the people you end up working with is whats the best. I sure hope so.

Its quiet trick question but I am happy with my job............

http://www.astermeds.com
  •  03-15-2011, 10:48 PM

Hi

I'm also looking for advice I have just started taking the courses to become a coder. I do have a medical background with a bachelors degress in Athletic Training but looking to make a change now that we are starting a family. Is this a good feild to be in?

•  03-22-2011, 12:22 PM

Amy,

You are asking many questions that I also have.  One of my main problems is that I don't have a lot of time to gather experience as I am an older person.  I am also in school for this field and am hopeing to work for at least a few more years.  Good luck in your future.

Ron

•  05-20-2011, 1:30 AM

Hey,

I am currently taking a coding class and have an assignment to interview someone who is a coder. I have just a few questions to ask if anyone is willing to help me out. Thank you

•  05-24-2011, 10:30 AM

Hi Dennis,

It sounds like you really enjoy what you are doing. Where and when does the confidence come in coding. It is so easy to make a mistake. I'm not sure I'm right for the job because I think the mistake factor would overload my brain. Thanks for the great outlook.

Page 1 of 4 (52 items)   1 2 3 4 Next >