Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Should nurses be allowed to accept gifts from patients?

Last post 11-29-2016, 4:54 AM by addison cave. 9 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  01-18-2011, 2:11 PM

Should nurses be allowed to accept gifts from patients?

Recently, a family member was in the hospital for about a week. He was so impressed with his nursing care that, at the end of his stay, he asked his wife to get a few of the nurses (the ones who had provided most of his care) gift cards as a tangible "thank you" (in addition to sending the whole unit a card and filling out a patient satisfaction form with glowing reviews). It made me wonder if accepting a gift is allowed in most facilities, or if it's frowned upon to accept a gift for "just doing your job."

Have you ever received a gift from a patient (and, if so, did you think it was appropriate)? Does your facility have a policy about accepting gifts?

Also, what gift would you most appreciate from a patient? A gift card to Starbucks or a movie theater? A food item that could be shared with the whole unit? Something homemade?

I would love to know your thoughts!

•  01-20-2011, 2:55 PM

Re: Should nurses be allowed to accept gifts from patients?

Food gifts to be shared by the whole unit are acceptable...homemade or store bought is not importanat... lobster may be pushing it and this time of year we are all into fruit...LOL.

I love to receive the pride cards that detail what it was that was special to the PT..that made their stay a little more comfortable.

And of course a card to all the staff is always wonderful.

Gift cards are not appropriate..however nice.

•  01-20-2011, 2:56 PM

Food gifts to be shared by the whole unit are acceptable...homemade or store bought is not important... lobster may be pushing it and this time of year we are all into fruit...LOL.

I love to receive the pride cards that detail what it was that was special to the PT..that made their stay a little more comfortable.

And of course a card to all the staff is always wonderful.

Gift cards are not appropriate..however nice.

•  01-27-2011, 5:45 PM

Thanks for your thoughts, Dianna! I like the idea of gifts, such as food, that can be shared with the whole unit too.

Out of curiosity, what would you do in the case of a patient giving you a gift you deem inappropriate (like a gift card)? Would you decline the gift, or simply accept it and notify your manager that the gift was given?

•  07-07-2011, 3:20 PM

I don't see how anyone would have a problem with it, but I would still lett the manager know.

•  07-07-2011, 3:25 PM

John-You are being paid to perform a job which just happens to be taking care of someone. Do not manipulate patients' in their most vulnerable times. What's the manager going to do?
  •  10-18-2011, 10:09 AM

nurses should be allowed to receive gifts but that gifts should be of due to affection not to effect the working of a nurse.........

Weight Loss Operations
    Weight Loss Surgery
    Gastric Weight Loss Surgery
  •  10-18-2011, 11:37 AM

why not they also do a hard work and they are also be appreciated for their work and affection.

Mri Technician
    Mri Tech
    Mri Technologist
  •  11-29-2016, 3:11 AM

Thank you for an interesting topic, guys!
    wwwcomcast
  •  11-29-2016, 4:54 AM

yes, they are also human beings we can appreciate them by giving cards food and the main thing live with them friendly a little smile is also a reason to give someone happiness.
    Lathe Machine | Drilling machine | Milling Machine