Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

How to stop verbal stims....please help!

Last post 05-17-2016, 12:01 PM by justin virk. 4 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  03-03-2011, 8:15 PM

How to stop verbal stims....please help!

I work in a small county for a school system. I have a child who has Autism and verbally stims CONSTANTLY. He is 13 years old and has just entered middle school. He is very disruptive, sings and hums all day long. He has a good sensory diet in place and we have tried almost everything we can think of; headphones, classical music, heavy work activities for her mouth, behavior replacement with food and non-food items, his sensory diet includes alot of heavy work activities, he wears a pressure vest at times, he can calm herself with putty and slow rocking on a therapy ball, and he also will place your hands on his back (telling you to give him a deep pressure back rub). We have tried sensory approaches and well as behavioral approaches and a combination of the two.  His teacher is fine with him stimming at times during the day because we feel like it's a coping mechanism for stress release, however, he doesn't stop.....ever. The other children in the class are becoming very agitated by it, some have to be taken out of the class, some where earplugs, and others use the bathroom to retreat from the noise. Her teacher is willing to try ANYTHING, and I am out of ideas, any suggestions??
  •  04-13-2011, 7:55 AM

Re: How to stop verbal stims....please help!

I had a patient like that several years ago and we used and microphone/headphone combination.  This is the same amplification system that you use when the teacher wears the microphone and a student wears the headphones to be able to focus on or hear the teacher better.  We put the headphones on the student, and attached the microphone to his collar.  Over a period of time, we gradually turned the volume up on the headphones so that he received louder and louder input.  He never completely stopped verbalizing, but he did get quieter.  I hope this helps!

Kim Hazelton, OTR/L

•  02-10-2016, 3:00 AM

I never really thought about it, but I guess I do some verbal stimming too. I don't do it in public, but in private (at home) I make up goofy songs and sing them loud, repeat things over and over and (I don't think this is one, but I will throw it out there) I talk to myself (ALOT). 
    You could talk to a speech therapist. They might be able to give you ideas on how to control the verbal stimming. I am not sure if they do that, but if they don't they could point you in the right direction. That is kinda my best idea. 
    I controlled it (minus the talking to myself) by working on it myself. I still talk to myself (under my breath) in public, but not in like meetings or something like that. 

sukhbir singh badal
  •  04-18-2016, 1:47 PM

thanks
  •  05-17-2016, 12:01 PM

Got autism? Got screaming and verbal stimming? You can teach your child peace and quiet.

Screaming, loud noises, verbal stimming.

TAGteach uses positive reinforcement

Observe and Wait for Quiet Mouth or Appropriate Vocalization

Tag sound is better than verbal “good job!”

You are an expert observer of your child

Beware the extinction burst — wait it out

What is TAGteach?