Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

bilateral below elbow amputations

Last post 03-22-2011, 9:48 PM by Katie G. 1 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  03-08-2011, 8:57 PM

bilateral below elbow amputations

I evaluated a 37 year old man today with bilateral below elbow amputations and bilateral below knee amputations. I have some thoughts on adaptive equipment such as using a splint/u cuff for feeding and grooming and sewing loops on his pants to pull up over his hips; however has anybody ever worked with this challenging population? Any ideas of other adaptive equipment..such as toileting aids? I saw in a magazine a reacher that may help for LB dressing, however it is really expensive. Any other suggestions? cooking?

Thanks

•  03-22-2011, 9:48 PM

Re: bilateral below elbow amputations

I worked with a man a few months ago in a similar situation, although he was waiting to get a prosthesis one one of his hands.  How much help does he have, and what are his priorities?  We used a large universal cuff for this pt., which allowed him to do things like type on a computer, brush his teeth, and feed himself.  He required set up and SBA, though.  He also made himself a handy faux prostethsis using a firm koozie and a metal hook.  This also allowed him to to use a stylus to use his iphone. 

Best of luck with this!