Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Returning to the nursing workforce after time away.

Last post 03-05-2007, 4:21 PM by Mitzi Spain. 10 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  04-08-2004, 1:55 PM

Returning to the nursing workforce after time away.

Have you returned to the nursing profession after retirement or some time away? What was that like and how did you prepare to re-enter the workforce?
  •  05-12-2004, 7:37 PM

Disability Denied

My disability was denied even though the letter stated I cannot return to nsg. If I am forced back into working I will work as a nurse, if nothing else, for the money. When my appeal comes up I plan on telling them that. What kind of job can I do when I am on narcotics, Xanax, sleeping pills, anti-depressants, hypertensive drugs, diuretics, Phenergan, and all that other stuff. If I have to work it will not be for scale. I was a good nurse and I feel I am being punished. Is this our thanks after 32yrs? I hate being like this.

The Cat
  •  12-31-2004, 1:09 AM

returning to nursing

I am an LPN since 1977. Had been in ADN program off and pon sinmce then, but never completed the program.  I have a spotted work history in nursing due to this and having to care for an elderly ill parent.  Currently, I have been out of practice for nearly 5 years, except for a brief stint at the local correctional facility.  I am trying to return to nursing, but am meeting roadblocks. I also have fibromyalgia, etc and am under the care of a physician, but am not on disability.  that is part of the reason I quit in 1998, was in severe pain from the fibro.

well, actually, my point is that I was trying to obtain licensure in Georgia, which is not a maember of the COMPACT states group.  But the endorsment application requires that I have worked a minimum of 500 hoiurs within the past 5 years. or take a board approved refresher course.  There are no such courses here in my home state, MS. I am not IV certified, but would like to take the upcoming class in February offered by the local community colleg. My MS licensure and CPR are current. I am in a quandry. I can not continue to work in th restaurant field, I want to be a nurse again. would it be easier to return if I were an RN? well, not an option at present. notr sure if I could after my experience with our local LPN-RN transition program.

can anyone offer any ideas? insights? suggestions? as to getting a job after being out for 5 years?now it is closer to 6 years.

please, help.

•  01-02-2005, 1:06 AM

RE:returning to nursing

Can you work part time?? How does your illness affect your practice? Have you tried office nursing?? What types of areas have you worked in?

It would be to your advantage to take the IV course, if possible. I think if you could return to nursing slowly, perhaps part time, you may have better success...( then if you can get into an area that you could build some benefits..ie: tuition reimbursement, paid time off, ect...you can continue to pursue your RN)..it really is worth it..and don't worry about the amount of time you've been out of school.....I do not know what the job markets are in either Mississppi or Georgia, but am pretty sure there is a demand for nurses.. somewhere!

Good Luck!!  

Headtrauma1

Be the Change You Want to see in the World.
  •  01-08-2005, 12:43 AM

RE:Returning to the nursing workforce after time away.

MESSAGE BY: ADVANCE Staff
    Have you returned to the nursing profession after retirement or some time away? What was that like and how did you prepare to re-enter the workforce?
    REPLY FROM: SWEETKISS
    I live in Williamsburg, Va. Does anyone know of a refresher course for LPN's to help them to get back into nursing?

•  03-04-2005, 1:43 AM

RE:RE:returning to nursing

I am still trying to get some shifts with a local supplemantal staffing agency(well it is a national agency but has offices here locally). SO far no luck, and I am soooooo frusatrated.

I want ot leave the Mississippui Gulf Coast area so bad ,but really want some clinical hoursa underr my belt before I leave so finding a job elsewhere will be easier. To my knowledge, ther are NO refresher courses available in the Mississippi, esp south MS area.  office nursing is an option, but computer skill are lacking. and nowe, most offices want phlebotomy experience. none.

Mississippi is p[art oif the COMPACT union, so I can gfo to one of those states with my nlicense. but I wanbted to go to Georgia, and they are not a member as of now. and requirtements for licensure by endorsement is a min of 500 hours clinical experience within past 5 yeasrs. or a refresher course state appreoved of course. so ther oin lies my delimmna....move to GA with no job, and not find a approved refresahr course?? unh uh. and if i do find one here in MS  will it be approved by GA standards?  the IV class, well it beginds next week and I haven't the available funds for ir. while $395 isnt alot to some, it is a fortune to me currently.

what do any of you who have ben out of nursing for a period do?? ya know, it seems to me, in my experioence, that if i were a RN it owuld not be a problem.boohoo. not anything against rn's. just feel like lpn's get short shrifted in many cases.

any advice from anyone ?? esp any LPN's in Mississippi, and Georgia, and Texas

•  05-18-2006, 2:22 PM

RE:RE:RE:returning to nursing

Have you checked with your State Nursing Board, I know that when I was out of work for a extended period of time, I Called my State Board of Nursing and they were able to help me with a facility in my area that offered mentor programs for nurses returning to the work force after a long absence. In return I agreed to work for the facility for a period of one year. It was well worth it.

•  06-02-2006, 4:15 PM

RE:Returning to the nursing workforce after time away.

I am a LPN and I was out of nursing for about 9 years.  I graduated from nursing school in the late 1970's.  I have worked in a hospitals, a doctor office and home health care.  I was just recently started working again.  During this 9 years period of not working in nursin,  I was working in another field.  When search for a job the only things I could find were nursing homes that would hire me.  Being out of the field so long and not having kept up to date with medications I did not feel comfortable working in a nursing home.  In addition, when I was going to nursing school I worked as a aid and I know how short staffed they were all of the time, so that was not comforting to me. 

Therefore, I looked to Private duty  and to home health care for a job.  It was a challenge to find something because I have a bad back, but I finally found something.  My employer is willing to work with me and I try to be flexible and work weekends and holidays.    I found when searching for a job,  a nursing job fair was the best thing to find opportunites.  I got to talk a real person and because of that I  found some opportunities.  When I just did a cold call or faxed or emailed my resume in I did not get anywhere. 

•  09-11-2006, 7:27 PM

RE:RE:Returning to the nursing workforce after time away.

Good advise. Thanks.
  •  10-19-2006, 2:28 AM

RE:RE:RE:Returning to the nursing workforce after time away.

I returned to nursing after a year and a half out sick,it was very hard for me as I was still not(am still not)100%.I was very nervous about going back to work after all that time off,and my health being so poor.My Tcell count was only 200(n=500-1500)so my immune system was very poor and I am nowhere near as strong as I used to be.After working for ovr a year I am still afraid to transfer residents myself d/t lack of confidence in my strength but thankfuly I work with really good CNA's.I am also blind in one eye now from CMV retinitis and that throws my depth perception off.plus I occasionally walk into thingsYaawwn very embarrassing!
    I was happy to realize that I had not forgotten as much as I was afraid I had and things do come back to you as  you start to  work,sort of like riding a bike.I know that sounds like I'm making fun but its the only way to explain it,after 15 years of nursing certain things have become automatic,they are so much a part of your job and life that you just do the right thing.
    I know it's scary to go back after being out for any length of time but Iam sure that you can do it and you will be surprised at how easy it is,just let them know that it has been a while and make sure you get all the time you need before you are on the floor on your own.
    Good luck
  •  03-05-2007, 4:21 PM

RE:RE:RE:returning to nursing

MESSAGE BY: helping_heart

I am still trying to get some shifts with a local supplemantal staffing agency(well it is a national agency but has offices here locally). SO far no luck, and I am soooooo frusatrated.

I want ot leave the Mississippui Gulf Coast area so bad ,but really want some clinical hoursa underr my belt before I leave so finding a job elsewhere will be easier. To my knowledge, ther are NO refresher courses available in the Mississippi, esp south MS area.  office nursing is an option, but computer skill are lacking. and nowe, most offices want phlebotomy experience. none.

Mississippi is p[art oif the COMPACT union, so I can gfo to one of those states with my nlicense. but I wanbted to go to Georgia, and they are not a member as of now. and requirtements for licensure by endorsement is a min of 500 hours clinical experience within past 5 yeasrs. or a refresher course state appreoved of course. so ther oin lies my delimmna....move to GA with no job, and not find a approved refresahr course?? unh uh. and if i do find one here in MS  will it be approved by GA standards?  the IV class, well it beginds next week and I haven't the available funds for ir. while $395 isnt alot to some, it is a fortune to me currently.

what do any of you who have ben out of nursing for a period do?? ya know, it seems to me, in my experioence, that if i were a RN it owuld not be a problem.boohoo. not anything against rn's. just feel like lpn's get short shrifted in many cases.

any advice from anyone ?? esp any LPN's in Mississippi, and Georgia, and Texas

REPLY FROM: 1A-B86D-EFE3B86397A9

Hi

I have read yours and other questions re: refresher courses.  I too, am about to go back into my LPN renewal processes for the state of AZ. (Al. my original licensing state) I have to ask this, When you say refreshers are NOT acvailable in your State, Does this mean Online refreshers as well?  I have researched my requirements, which will be the possibility of refreshers, I do see too that refreshers are offered ONLINE?  Have you looked into this?  Online availability?