Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

career in coding

Last post 11-26-2011, 2:18 AM by Laurie Forringer. 1 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  11-01-2011, 4:49 PM

career in coding

Hello All, I am going to graduate from a Health Information Technology program in the spring. I am especially interested in a career in coding. I am just looking for any advice anyone has about getting your first coding job. What certifications made it possible for you to get your foot in the door. I was looking into RHIT and CCA through AHIMA. Thanks in advance for any advice, Nichole

•  11-26-2011, 2:18 AM

Re: career in coding

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

You are certainly headed in the right direction. An RHIT or CCA certification will show that you are educated in your field. It is hard to say exactly what will help you get in the door but by showing confidence, a positive attitude, and also emphasize with the education and skills you have can be an asset to their organization. People skills are a plus and don't forget to tell them (company, etc) what you can do for them. Also, express your eagerness to continue to educated yourself and the desire to move forward. Once you land your first position, you have your foot in the door and experience to add to your resume. Best wishes and work hard and you will be rewarded for your efforts.