Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Shift work a health risk for women in healthcare?

Last post 01-23-2012, 10:55 PM by Bill Cutter. 2 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  10-26-2011, 3:43 PM

Shift work a health risk for women in healthcare?

Women hospital staff working night shifts may be compromising their own health as they try to improve the health of patients. A study by Joan Tranmer, PhD, RN, investigated the connection between shift work and risk factors for heart disease in female hospital employees who worked both shift and non-shift rotations.

As a former nurse familiar with shift work and because of her concern about the health of the female hospital workforce,  Tranmer questioned whether late nights were taking their toll on the health of her fellow hospital employees.

The findings of this study suggest approximately one in five middle-aged women who do shift work have at least three risk indicators for heart disease. The study also found age and current shift work status were significantly associated with increased risk. Women over 45 years, those who had reached menopause, had a shift work history of more than 6 years, and those currently working either 12 hour shifts or rotational shifts were more likely to have metabolic syndrome.

How does this make you feel about shift work? Do you feel you are at risk?

•  01-17-2012, 2:36 PM

Re: Shift work a health risk for women in healthcare?

Its a situation of supply and demand. Unfortunately it's one of those things that us professionals have to deal with. There are ways out but, sometimes you have to be willing to relocate. Sometimes its is hard when you have family and ties to a particular place, but if not its worth moving to a place that can cater to your lifestyle as well as a shift that is better for you. I used HealthCare Connections to help me find a way out. I use to be at Jackson in Miami, which was quite a task, but with this service i was move to Washington, which in no Miami but the quality of life is so much better because of the shift that i am on. Well worth it. gotta share a good thing. www.labcareer.com, i forgot the toll free number but the website has everything you need. 
  •  01-23-2012, 10:55 PM

Re: Shift work a health risk for women in healthcare?

tsttststst