Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

I need your input!!!!

Last post 12-25-2008, 2:23 PM by Brandon Kilgo. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items)   1 2 Next >
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  07-18-2005, 10:53 PM

I need your input!!!!

Okay. I need everyone who can type to give me your opinions. I really need input on this one:

1.)What would you like to see a statewide LPN organization do for LPNs?

2.) Would you be interested in joining one, and if so, under what conditions?(ie: general membership, dues-paying, grass roots support group,political action committee)

3.) What are your concerns about your practice and on being an LPN in general?

Thank you for your input!

Headtrauma1

Be the Change You Want to see in the World.
  •  08-12-2005, 2:05 AM

LVN/LPN organizations

I would like to see LVN's hired at hospitals that don't hire them right now.  They have shortage with 50 RN spots open, but only 2 RN's in area..rest are LVN's (just an example).  LVN's are just as needed as RN's.  I plan on getting my RN next year, but all of these lvn's need jobs too. 

I would join an association.  I'm surprised they don't have one.  They have one for RN's.

•  06-15-2006, 6:39 PM

RE:I need your input!!!!

Hi;

So happy to see this post. I'm working at a surgical clinic at Kaiser.We really need to have some professional organization that recoqnizes the LVN's role in nursing. Otherwise the RN's use their organizations to marginalize our place in the nursing model.

please keep in touch

Roberta McLeod

•  07-28-2006, 6:24 AM

Join the nflpn, they are an organization for LPN's. www.nflpn.org

barbara

•  07-28-2006, 6:53 PM

I would like to see a national union for us.  There is such a disparity in wages, scope of practice, and nursing responsibilities that we should have our own set of rules to level the playing field . 
  •  07-30-2006, 2:21 AM

I would love the organization to ensure that my scope of practice, as an lpn, be consistent and inclusive to what the State Board of Nursing has credientialed me, across the board, and not hindered because of policies and procedures of facilities.  I am educated and qualified, and would join an organization that would establish guidlines state wide to allow me to practice what I have learned.  I certainly would pay dues to any organization that enhanced/enforced the scope of practice for all LPN's.  I would participate in this organization providing they put my dues to good use, with expectation that my employment opportunities increased, that salaries become fair and competitive,  and educational oppportunities became more achievable for LPN's (whether persuing RN or increasing my knowledge based on my speciality).  I would also expect that I am kept up to date on current legislations, changes, and forums.  I would be pleased if this organization would some how empower and encourage unity between all nurses, focusing on our strengths not our differences!

Optimistically

Joanne

•  07-30-2006, 11:01 PM

1.Stop   arbitrary mandation so management will use mandation  for emergencies  (state or national emergencies.)  

2. Change the required staffing levels in acute rehab by having less patients per nurse.

3. Require  nurse supervisors  have  management training.

4.  Require electronic medical records.

5. Manage med passes by eval.  More med pass carts and personnel if necessary.

6. Same pay as RNs when the same work is performed.

•  08-13-2006, 4:27 PM

#1 - what can they do?

i would like to see better salaries

respect for the scope of practice

support from our co-workers.

#2 membership ok

#3 i have no concerns just as long as the staff i am working with are friendly

supportive and cooperative.

•  09-09-2006, 10:34 PM

I Need Your Imput

1. I would like to see these so called LPN organizations really fight for LPN's! RN groups certainly have no trouble getting representatives (and see their senator or congressman) to back them whenever any issues come up.

2. If I was aware of an organization that was doing more then just preparing for their yearly convention I would join. Right now I don't see dues monies going towards anything. I called one place and asked them 'why aren't they doing anything about what is going on with LPN's? They told me to join. I did, and never heard anything again.

3. Other than working in a nursing home, LPN's are becoming severely limited as to where they can work. Their jobs are taken over by PCA's, CNA's, tech's and whatever the facility will get away with in order to reduce their salary overhead.  

Johanna West Nyack, NY
  •  10-20-2008, 10:56 PM

Re: RE:I need your input!!!!

I know of a couple professional organizations for LPN's and a new one that supports LPN's and RN's who work as oncology nurse navigators and or patient navigators  It is called the National Coalition of Oncology Nurse Navigators.

•  10-22-2008, 5:32 AM

Re: I need your input!!!!

I wish the LPN Board would support and promote LPNs, and help market us in the communities.  Other than nursing homes, there are too few positions to support all of us,

I called about one listing for an RN or LPN in the classifieds, and the woman asked, "Are you are nurse?  Or an LPN?"  And that's pretty much the attitude here.

I've been an LPN for 16 years and I don't want to go back to school to get an RN degree.  If the organization would actually support and promote LPNs, I'd join, but if all they talk about is going back to school, no thanks.

•  11-14-2008, 10:39 PM

I feel a statewide LPN organization should recognize the importance of LPN's in the medical community.  We are the compassionate bedside nurses of the past. We do have the skills and we are about to be taught and do critical thinking.  Some LPN's are not able to return to school to become RN's and there is nothing wrong with the LPN profession.  I would be interested in joining an organization for LPN's.   The LPN's in general are being pushed out of the hospitals and we do play a vital roll in team nursing and patient care.  I am concerned that the patients will  suffer because the "hands on nurse/ TLC" is being phased out.

•  11-26-2008, 5:50 PM

Re: LVN/LPN organizations

I would loved to be hired in a hospital not just in senior living. I did clinicals in 5 didffent locations that the school set up and none, not one, said they hire LPNs. The students were told once you go on to get your RN then apply. 

I would join a general organization (that's how I stumble on this site). 

•  12-02-2008, 5:12 AM

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A STRONG UNION SUCH AS THE MNA (MASSACHUSETTS NURSES ASSOCIATION) WE NEED TO HAVE A UNION TO SHOW HOW VALUABLE WE ARE, THE RESPECT WE DESERVE FROM ALL. THE UNION I BELONG TO IS JUST NOT FOR THE NURSES IN MY FIELD.

I WOULD DEFINITELY BE INTERESTED IN JOING FORCES FOR A STATEWIDE LPN ORGANIZATION. I AM CURRENTLY DISABLED FROM YEARS OF PUSHING, PULLING, LIFTING,TURNING...BUT AFTER MY SURGERY I WILL BE BACK...(NO, I AM NOT THE TERMINATOR :)THIS I WOULD DO IN ANY ASPECT...TRAVEL IS NOT AN ISSUE AT THIS TIME.

MY CONCERNS ARE MOSTLY FROM BEING IGNORED, IF THERE IS A RN AROUND MY OPINION IS LEFT BEHIND. I HAVE 7 YEARS OF COLLEGE BEHIND ME IN ALL SORTS OF CLASSES INCLUDING ALL OF THE COURSES TO BECOME A RN BUT NEVER WANTED TO BE ONE. I ENJOY LEARNING. WORKING WITH CERTIFIED STAFF IS MY GREATEST CONCERN FOR THEY ARE WORKING UNDER MY LICENSE.

•  12-06-2008, 9:01 PM

Wow.  What a loaded question.

1.  I would like to see a organization that assist in building leaders in the LPN community, support and mentors pn students, works closely with pn educators, state boards of nursing, NCSBN, hospital associations and others.  To educate the community about the role of the LPN.  Provide continuing education and celebrate LPN's in there area.

2. I belong to the NFLPN

3. My concern is for nurses who are new into practice who do not get the training and support that I recieved many years ago.  I am also concerned about the usage of unlicensed persons who currently out number LPN's in an acute care setting.  I'm concerned that there are fewer clinical sites who can accept studentsto recieve the much needed training. 

mmoore
Page 1 of 2 (17 items)   1 2 Next >