Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Activities during ELMSN FNP program

Last post 12-28-2012, 11:04 AM by Joel Ruiz. 1 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  05-14-2012, 9:47 PM

Activities during ELMSN FNP program

Hello all

I am currently in a ELMSN FNP program that is 2.25 years long. Graduation is next summer and I was wondering what activities people have been doing during their programs besides working as a RN (my program is too accelerated to be able to commit to a regular PT schedule). I'd love to do a FNP residency program but I feel lack of exp/activities during the NP program will hurt me.  

•  12-28-2012, 11:04 AM

Re: Activities during ELMSN FNP program

I am in a full time FNP program in Omaha, Nebraksa. I work two PRN jobs in Lincoln, Nebraska while in school. Working PRN has been great for allowing me to keep school my top priority. I am also newly married and a new home owner. At times I would like to do more extra curricular activities, but I think that this want is counter productive to my overall goals. Going to school, working, and spending time with my friends and family have my attention over adding more to my packed scheduled. I do find reading medical journals and attending free CEU sessions that my jobs provide do help to make me feel like I doing more extra curricular activities. Plus, those free CEUs are usually an hour long, keep my RN license current, and I get to network within my place of employment. This has been a good compromise for me. If I were to take on any more responsibility I would be pushing myself too much and I feel like I would leave the organization I was volunteering for or working for short changed. I don't believe I can give 100% to any more than three priorities. 

Joel Ruiz