Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

New student: medical billing and coding

Last post 06-26-2016, 10:05 PM by Salma Nori. 41 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (42 items)   1 2 3 Next >
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  05-07-2013, 12:29 AM

New student: medical billing and coding

I'm a new student going to school for medical billing and coding. This field first appealed to me because i heard that you could work from home but talking to the instructors I realized that it's not very big anymore and you really need to be with a doctor for some time to even have them consider that for you. Very disappointing to hear but it seems like a great field to be in so I’m going to stick with it. I've been reading through a lot of post on here and a lot of people have asked some of the same questions that I had. I'm really interested to know how the billing/coding and medical asst go hand in hand. When you apply at a physician’s office, does that make you look better to a manager seeing that you have both certs?? I would also like to know what physicians look for when hiring people who just graduate and who don't have experience. Any advice on how to study and make this learning process go a little easier would be great as well.

•  05-08-2013, 7:58 PM

Re: New student: medical billing and coding

Hey, I am in the same boat. It wasn't until I started the classes that I found out how hard it is to find a coding job with all the outsourcing to companies. I had to call over 5 people to talk to a coder that ACTUALLY worked IN the office.
  •  05-09-2013, 10:02 AM

I have previously been a medical biller and coder, but have been out of this field of work for about 6 years. It is so very difficult to work at home in this profession due to the fact that doctors are reluctant to release their Accounts Receivables. I feel this has happened due to fraud and home billing not being reliable.
  •  12-19-2013, 8:15 AM

I’ve been browsing on-line greater than 3 hours today, but I never discovered any fascinating article like yours. It is lovely price sufficient for
    me.
    العاب بنات
    العاب تلبيس
  •  01-15-2014, 7:59 PM

This is a similar post to the one I am currently doing as a lab assignment in my Health Information Tech class! I have heard advertisements for working at home doing billing and coding but it certainly makes sense what one of the other commenter's said about this being less common due to doctors being more cautious about releasing their accounts receivable due to errors and fraud. However, I do know that the doctors I work for do most of their own coding when they are charting for the patients they've seen and the rest is taken over by our billing department. The companies that doctors outsource their billing and coding for are some of the places I plan to apply for when I graduate.
  •  02-18-2014, 7:17 PM

I have previously been a medical biller and coder, but have been out of this field of work for about 6 years. It is so very difficult to work at home in this profession due to the fact that doctors are reluctant to release their Accounts Receivables. I feel this has happened due to fraud and home billing not being reliable
    العاب تلبيس بنات
  •  06-01-2014, 9:16 PM

Hi, while I'm not a new student (ready to graduate soon).  I too am interested in the coding aspect of the field for the same reasons, able to work from home (with kids I thought this would be a great fit), I never heard until now from your comment that the position is being outsourced and that the doctors have had issues with fraud, very disappointing to say the least.  To answer your question I think it would make sense that having bother certifications would be a plus for a manager looking to hire (I'm doing the same thing).  I think that people looking to hire are might reconsider your Professional Practice Experience hours (interships) from school as some form of experience.  At least I hope this is the case!  I am having the same concern, I know if you have billing experience it's a big plus for hiring managers.  I too am going through the struggle of trying to figure out what's the best way to study for my board exam.  What books would anyone recommend?  I saw the suggestions others made on this posting and that's appreciated, will look into those.  Thank you and good luck!
  •  06-01-2014, 10:20 PM

I did not realize how hard it would be to get a coding job after I graduate from school.  I too wanted to someday work from home but after reading everyone else's post I have come to realize that its going to be very hard to find a job.

•  06-02-2014, 10:52 AM

Hi, Well billing and coding go hand in hand with medical assistants by making sure the diagnoses are correct and also whatever was done to the patient was written in order for the billing and coder to put the correct codes.
  •  06-11-2014, 10:30 AM

Hi Cristina, I am also a new student going into this field. I am in a health administration program and have not yet decided which part of HIM I would like to go into. Your post interested me because I am also curious about the same things as you. I know a couple of people who do work in coding and billing and work through a local hospital from home. They never mentioned to me that it was a difficult thing to do, besides the fact you cannot automatically start at home. I believe they said to me they had to have six months of training at the hospital before they could do the work from home. I know they love their job though. They also mentioned to me that with the introduction of the ICD-10 that a lot of facilities are going to be hiring like crazy for more coders, so possibly there is a greater chance of getting a job now. As for what physicians look for when hiring someone with no experience I would say to try doing an internship and get your foot in the door first. Good luck!
  •  06-11-2014, 10:48 PM

I am also a student who is enrolled in a HIM coding/billing program.  I am taking online classes and I'm hoping to graduate in the Spring of 2015.  I have heard a lot of my classmates discuss that they are going into this program so they can work from home.  I set up an appointment to shadow one of the manager's of an HIM department for a large hospital.  She said that they just recently started hiring new grads.  They put their new grad through a year training program.  After that they are on their own.  The inpatient coders all work onsite while the ambulatory coders have the option to work from home after they are able to show high productivity onsite.  The one fear that I have is will there be enough jobs for all of these new grads.  It seems like there are tons.
  •  06-12-2014, 5:54 AM

Very informative discussion....A big thanks for all of you
  •  06-23-2014, 12:56 PM

I have previously been a medical biller and coder, but have been out of this field of work for about 6 years. It is so very difficult to work at home in this profession due to the fact that doctors are reluctant to release their Accounts Receivables

لعبة زوما

العاب طبخ

العاب طبخ بنات
  •  07-08-2014, 3:48 PM

I am just starting to take the classes necessary for the Medical Coding/Billing field and will want to go to work at home eventually. And as I am looking at job listings for my area I have come to the conclusions that an internship would be the best way to start this career also. It was some time ago you posted this I hope you have had success in getting a job.
  •  07-30-2014, 7:25 AM

I've been reading through a lot of post on here and a lot of people have asked some of the same questions that I had. I'm really interested to know how the billing/coding and medical asst go hand in hand. When you apply at a physician’s office, does that make you look better to a manager seeing that you have both certs?? I would also like to know what physicians look for when hiring people who just graduate and who don't have experience
    العاب بنات
Page 1 of 3 (42 items)   1 2 3 Next >