Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Talking about "Up in Smoke"

Last post 07-10-2014, 11:20 AM by omar oked. 3 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  05-19-2011, 12:54 PM

Talking about "Up in Smoke"

When you read Up in Smoke, did you think "No employer is going to delve into my personal life!" or "It's about time employers insisted on healthy workers!"

Do you think tobacco-free hiring practices are a slippery slope that will lead to other exclusions, or an uphill climb toward a healthier society and reduced healthcare costs?

Whichever side of the debate you fall on, we want to hear your thoughts and comments!

•  05-25-2011, 6:06 PM

Re: Talking about "Up in Smoke"

I agree with the policies of having a smoke-free environment in the workplace and not allowing smoking inside of facilites and even outside on the grounds. This provides a healthy work environment for everyone. But I feel not hiring people who smoke (on their own time and at home or away from the facility) goes too far and is discriminatory. Once it becomes acceptible to discriminate against smokers, will diabetics be next in line to be denied a position? Will employees' blood sugars be tested and those above 100 be denied a job? What about hypertension? Will employees have to have a blood pressure below 140/90 to be hired? Because hypertension can lead to heart disease, stroke and renal disease which may increase employers' health insurance costs. Where will this end? Will we become like the world portrayed in the science fiction film "Gattica" where only the most perfect are hired for the decent jobs? I am concerned about this trend.

Just like the acceptance and legalization of abortion 37 years ago has led to the acceptance of embryo/fetus killing practices of embryonic stem cell research, using aborted fetal tissue in developing vaccines, embryo reduction in the cases of multiple pregnancy and elimination of down syndrome fetuses after they are detected by tests, I am afraid that acceptance of denying smokers positions in healthcare will usher in more devaluation of individuals based on various characteristics. History has taught us that no one is safe from discrimination once we open the door to judging others as less valuable and a monetary drain on health insurance and society.

•  06-13-2011, 4:48 AM

The habit of smoking is increasing day by day.and leading to many health hazards,..many people do smoking to relax themselves from worries or others get addicted ,.smoking to injuries to an individual and to its surrounding,..thus its is very necessary to promote the disadvantages of smoke ,. 

Weight Loss Operations
    Weight Loss Surgery
    Gastric Weight Loss Surgery
  •  07-10-2014, 11:20 AM

Just like the acceptance and legalization of abortion 37 years ago has led to the acceptance of embryo/fetus killing practices of embryonic stem cell research, using aborted fetal tissue in developing vaccines, embryo reduction in the cases of multiple pregnancy and elimination of down syndrome fetuses after they are detected by tests, I am afraid that acceptance of denying smokers positions in healthcare will usher in more devaluation of individuals based on various characteristics. History has taught us that no one is safe from discrimination once we open the door to judging others as less valuable and a monetary drain on health insurance and society.
    http://www.sbanate.com/