Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

New to SNF practice and have questions

Last post 04-25-2015, 7:07 AM by Tara Ledesma. 1 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  10-05-2014, 4:28 PM

New to SNF practice and have questions

I've practiced in Inpatient Acute Care for over a decade ... now in SNF.  As a COTA, it was my understanding that the OTR had to do a visit on the patient's recert date AND write the recert note.  (Both Med A and B)  This place says I write most of the recert note, no visit needed by OTR for Med A patient on recert date.  This place also says I write most of the d/c note.   HELP !!  What's the rule ?  Is it state by state ??  (I'm traveling and in NY state right now)  

Thanks !!!    

•  04-25-2015, 7:07 AM

Re: New to SNF practice and have questions

I live and work in CA

Ideally the OT should be seeing the patient on the recert date and writing the recert note, therefore the OT should also be seeing the patient that day.  It is my understanding from state to state requirements differ. If an OT is not working on recert day, staff should follow standard procedure. If unclear talk to district manager in rehab company.

Progress notes may be completed by a COTA in addition to COTA treatments / visits. Requirements regarding progress notes may vary by facility. Keep in mind that most patients are covered by Medicare, so as practioners we must comply with Medicare requirements if we are billing Medicare for services.

It is the OT's duty to complete evaluations and discharges. In regards to recerts and Medicare A guidelines, the OT is the qualified professional who must complete the recert / cert based on it being comparable to a Medicare evaluation.

Tara Ledesma, OT