Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

coder/biller for HIM

Last post 02-10-2016, 3:05 AM by Sukhpal Singh. 7 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  01-07-2016, 10:33 PM

coder/biller for HIM

I am a student finishing up my medical coder/biller program and I am curious as to what is the best way to get experience with coding and billing? I have a job as a unit secretary, but I don't feel like that will be enough to get the job. what do others recommend?
  •  01-12-2016, 10:53 AM

Re: coder/biller for HIM

I like this very much,very good post.
    very nice post brother, hopefully it's news can be received by many people.
    كركر
    العاب 250
    العاب فلاش
  •  01-12-2016, 9:29 PM

Hello, I am an HIM and medical coding/billing student as well. It seems that all job postings now list experience as a requirement. To gain more experience I would suggest volunteering in an HIM department or related area in a local hospital. You may not be able to get a job in coding, but many facilities will take volunteers. I have been volunteering at a hospital and have learned so much just by being there. Once you have some experience volunteering, you could then look for a part-time job doing medical billing or something. Any experience is better than no experience. Hope that helps!
  •  01-13-2016, 10:49 AM

Hi Elizabeth!  I think we are in the same HIM class if I recognize your name correctly.  I also am currently working as a unit secretary.  I really feel that we have an advantage in that we are already employees in an organization that employs/needs coders.   It is my hope that they will recognize our value as existing employees and offer us opportunity for advancement.     I will be following this post though to see if anyone has any recommendations.  
  •  01-14-2016, 2:41 PM

I am also in my second year of school to earn my AAS in Medical Coding. I am working in an clinic as a ward clerk. I am very nervous about after I graduate if I will be able to get a job in coding. But after going back to school after 27 years, I guess I am up for anything. I will follow this post to see if anyone has any advice or recommendations.
  •  01-17-2016, 3:25 PM

I'm in the same situation. I am changing careers so the healthcare industry is 

foreign to me except for some volunteer work at a hospital years ago. I read that there will be 

a demand to fill positions  in the coming years due to employee retirement   and career

changes and aging baby boomers. Good luck to you.

•  01-23-2016, 2:30 PM

I am also a student and am not working in the medical field at the time but have worked in in the past. So this is like a new beginning.

•  02-10-2016, 3:05 AM

Health information coding is the transformation of verbal descriptions of diseases, injuries and procedures into alphanumeric designations.  Responsibilities include coding of diagnoses and procedures and preparation and processing of insurance claims. Medicare and other third party payors use coded data for claims processing. Coded information is used in the assessment of clinical care, to support research activity, and the identification of health care concerns critical to the public at large.
    Sukhpal Singh Khaira
    Sukhpal Singh Khaira

Sukhpal Singh Khaira