Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Gaining work experience

Last post 05-23-2017, 10:03 AM by Frances Omura. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items)   1 2 Next >
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  01-11-2016, 7:39 PM

Gaining work experience

Good evening everyone, 

I am currently a student working towards becoming a medical biller/coder.  My main concern I have regarding after graduation is being able to find a position in the field.  Most work places require at least one to two years’ experience.  What can I do to gain experience in the field?

Thank you so much in advance,

Ariana W.  

•  01-12-2016, 6:57 AM

Re: Gaining work experience

•  01-15-2016, 11:41 AM

Hi Ariana - 

First off - I wish you luck during your schooling as well as career when that time comes. I also have questions regarding how to gain experience in the field when a lot of places are requiring experience to even consider an application, or to apply. It seems backwards. 

Few ideas that I have and what I am going to try and do when I get close to completing my program:

- Contact a local health care facility to see if you are able to do a job shadow for a few days to get a feel of what they do, and keep in contact with the person you shadow/talk with to set up the shadow.

- If there is an internship offered within your program - JUMP ON IT! This is going to be a fabulous resource and will get your foot in the door, and hopefully land you a position at that location, or another.  

- Make sure to take certification tests for your program - that will show the employer you are applying with that you actually followed through with the certification piece of the program and your score can show them what kind of knowledge/education you have.

Again, good luck. Maybe we can both land positions! 

•  05-25-2016, 2:07 AM

That’s a problem in every field you need an experience to get a first job. I don’t how they could come with this but it’s everywhere. But if your basics are strong and you can manage to give answer of all questions and your concept is clear then ofcourse you will get a job.

Dissertation Writing Service UK
  •  10-24-2016, 5:56 AM

Some organization need candidates with experience in that field. For this reason, most of the fresh candidates loss great opportunities. I don't have a perfect answer for your question. 
    Buy research proposal
  •  11-18-2016, 6:41 AM

This medical biller/coder is nice field. If you take any training on this area then it will helpful for your future. This is a medical field so I think you have many opportunity for this work. I am a professional writer in best thesis writing service   

best thesis writing service
  •  11-24-2016, 6:05 AM

Most of the organization give high preference for candidates with minimum 2 years experience. But some organizations need freshers. Better you find a job and there are no shortcuts to get experience certificate. 
    Essay writing service
  •  12-26-2016, 5:37 AM

Gaining work experience is not  an easy task. Most of the companies are looking for an experienced persons. I am a  professional writer.I also worked to several companies for  a good work experience certificate.
    term paper writing service
  •  01-15-2017, 9:06 PM

These are some great tips! Thank you! :)
  •  01-15-2017, 9:11 PM

This is great advice! My biggest fear after graduating is not being able to find a job in my career.

Best of luck! 

•  01-15-2017, 9:22 PM

Which do you think is easier: getting a job at a hospital or a private practice company?
  •  01-15-2017, 9:31 PM

One of the best ways that I know of to gain some work experience would be to try an intern program.
  •  01-16-2017, 9:34 AM

I too have been wondering the same thing. I do worry about this a little bit, but my advisor at my school has told me that anything that she can do to help she will do it. I would go to your academic advisor and "pick their brain" on how and where you can go to get experience in your field. They may have internship opportunities available, or your advisor may know of a place that will allow you to shadow workers. I wish you the best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

Amanda Geer.

•  01-24-2017, 2:37 PM

I'm also nervous about this as most positions require experience.  I think reaching out to your school and seeing if they offer an internship or professional practice experience can help you gain some experience.  I also think that attending meetings is very important and can help you network and meet different people in your field!  I attended a meeting last year and met so many different people in the HIM and coding field and met several students as well. 

Good luck !! 

•  01-25-2017, 11:35 AM

Thank you for asking this question. It is hard to believe that you need a job to gain work experience and work experience to get a job. Everything else that people are saying is very helpful. Finding a job in the career that one has studied for I think is a big concern for anyone who is still studying.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items)   1 2 Next >