Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

correctional nursing

Last post 02-16-2016, 12:41 AM by Sidharth Sid. 13 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  11-19-2005, 1:46 AM

correctional nursing

Hi -

Is there anyone out there who is involved with Corrections - I am interested in comparing some notes - getting some ideas.  Reply if you are interested.

Connie P

Connie P
  •  01-01-2006, 4:57 AM

RE:correctional nursing

•  01-19-2006, 11:39 AM

Hello I worked in a correctional facility for 10 months and I'll tell you it's a trip. I wasn't hired to do this but they couldn't hire anybody so I had to pass out meds on the blocks after standing at a cart for 4.5 hours putting pills in envelopes to disperse to inmates.I walked up stairs and down stairs and all around the prison. I guess I walked at least 3 miles per 12 hr shift.. 

Most of the inmates were pleasant but the correctional officers presented the biggest obstacle to finishing on time. Correctional officers gave me more greef then the inmates In a prison nursing takes a back seat. When I worked in nursing homes it was just the oposite.In prison, I'd stand at a Unit door waiting for Master Control to open it while the clock kept ticking. They see you there but when they're ready you go in. Tick Tick Tick goes the clock.It's late I'll never finish on time.

I'll never go back there. I wonder can anybody share with me what they went through as a nurse working in a prison?

•  02-08-2006, 4:25 PM

Hi Connie,

I worked corrections in a women's state prison. My first experience in corrections nursing and frankly I hope it won't be my last. I'd be happy to compare notes.It was one of the most challenging times of my career and rewarding too.

•  02-08-2006, 4:42 PM

RE:RE:correctional nursing

I hear ya! Corrections nursing is like nothing else I've done and I've done alot in the last 27 years-med-surg, CCU, Labor and Delivery with OR&RR and mother-baby and antepartum thrown in. I worked some pain management and AIDS casemanagement too before going to prison

For the 16 months I was there, I can honestly say it was a love it/ loathe it job. For many reasons you mention in your post. Security is definately first there, even before safety.As the RN, I had charge and it could be wild some days. But every day, as I drove that 1/2 hour home, I knew I'd made a difference in someone's life. Most days the inmates were glad to see us. Even the officers were happy for our caring when they needed the attention.

I believe nursing is a calling. But those medical people who truly care in that setting, well, they are the cream of our crop. I came away from my prison experience even more grateful for the convinences available in our country's hospitals. I wonder, do nursing schools even mention corrections nursings now. When I went to school it wasn't even mentioned.

•  03-06-2006, 10:37 PM

Hi . I worked at a Male Maximum Security Unit in Texas for almost 6 years. I found the job to be more challenging than I expected. Good in some ways and terrible in others. I did not lose any skills as we had an infirmary and a very high HIV rate as well as other chronic illnesses. Had it not been for new management, which is now gone I would probably still be employed there. As far as security, it is a 2 way street. Some of them are very good and understand medical issues, but on the other hand security always comes first. Another issue is the manipulation that so many offenders use as a means to get out of their cell. Anyone in need of medical attention was going to get it, but it gets very tiring year after year seeing the same people who are just 'faking it as a way to get out of their cells', but you have to see them because you never know and nursing is your reason for being there.  Overall, other then my extreme disappointment at the Senior Management who ran off a lot of the best nurses, I enjoyed my job, and might possibly gain employment with another facility if Management was deemed competent. Good Luck with your possible endeavour and I hope that if you do choose the corrections path that it is a good one for you.

•  04-02-2006, 9:18 PM

RE:RE:correctional nursing

Thanks to all who replied to my inquiry about Correctional Nursing.  I too,  have a diverse background in nursing before getting into Corrections.  ICU to Nursing Home.  As part of our County Nursing Home it is our responsibility to 'cover the County jail'.  Like everyone else I didn't like it at first.  Then a position became available at Corrections and I decided to try it.  I have now been there for 6 years. I have found all of the inmates to be very polite and respectiful toward me - many 'pleases and thank yous'.  You get a chance to do a lot of teaching which many of these guys are greatful for.  Who knows if they really listen but it makes you feel good at the time and if you don't see a 'repeater' maybe you have done some good.  It is not for everyone but it can be rewarding.

Connie     

Connie P
  •  07-17-2012, 4:28 AM

Re: RE:RE:correctional nursing

Hi, Though i have a little experience in it, but still i have lots of friends who are expert in this field. If its already solved then its ok ^^

Every one is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody
    Businesses for sale
    Business for sale
  •  09-27-2012, 3:18 AM

I am a registered nurse and i am thankful that you have posted your experiences as a county nurse. I also want to experience the job as a nurse in a correctional.

cna training in virginia
  •  01-30-2014, 3:06 AM

I worked corrections in a women's state prison. My first experience in corrections nursing and frankly I hope it won't be my last. I'd be happy to compare notes.It was one of the most challenging times of my career and rewarding too.

Mobil Sedan COrolla IDRPOKER.com Agen Texas Poker Online Indonesia Terpercaya
  •  03-13-2014, 12:35 AM

Re: correctional nursing

Correctional nurse is the best nurse i have seen. They have great responsibility.
    Buy Sildenafil Citrate online | oil expeller
  •  03-18-2014, 1:56 PM

I work PRN in Juvenile Corrections and I LOVE it!  I really enjoy my job, and hope that something I do makes a difference one day.  There is no instant gratification, and much of the care and education I provide is met with resistance and displaced anger. My number one priority is the safety of the staff and residents.  It is an interesting dynamic that requires team work and a lot of patience.  Kudos to all corrections professionals! I am curious to see others' posts! :)
    nurse8019
  •  04-02-2014, 6:03 AM

if you got answers then tell me

hair transplant in India

hair transplant in India | hair transplant in Ludhiana
  •  02-16-2016, 12:41 AM

Correctional nursing is a highly specialized field ofnursing that involves caring for the medical needs of detainees and inmates
    yami gautam height | kriti sanon age | red lips