Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Tell the World Challenge

Last post 11-24-2016, 12:08 AM by addison cave. 2 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  11-03-2016, 6:14 PM

Tell the World Challenge

Hi everyone,  I could use your help!!

For those who are nurses,  I would love for you to share your personal philosophy of nursing or a statement of what nursing means to you!

For those who are not nurses, what word/statment comes to mind when you think of nurses.

In an effort to stimulate reflection of the nursing profession, I am posting a paper I wrote about my personal

nursing philosophy.  I hope to inspire others to reflect on why they became a nurse and create their own personal philosophy

of nursing.

One of the most difficult decisions in my young adulthood was to choose a profession that defined me. While nursing is a demanding career, it is a career I chose nine years ago because I aspire to be part of a profession that is reputable and rewarding. A defining point during my first year of nursing was a night shift that made me realize I had chosen an exceptional career.  It was a night that I will always remember because it portrayed professionalism, competence, and teamwork; three key principles that have inspired my nursing philosophy.

Influence of nursing to personal philosophy

I arrived at the nursing station after clocking in to receive my assignment for my shift when a STAT triage was called to the Emergency Room lobby. The patient was taken to a room with the complaint of chest pain for two days.  As I was triaging this patient, he was notably diaphoretic, bradycardic, and the cardiac monitor showed ST elevation.  Within seconds, the patient had gone into cardiac arrest and was surrounded by nursing staff.  Advanced Cardiac Life Support protocol was followed, and the patient was successfully resuscitated.  He amazingly survived after being defibrillated fourteen times in our Emergency Department, then seven more times in another Emergency Department after he was airlifted to the nearest heart catheterization lab.  Several weeks later, I ran into the patient outside of work.  He told me he was so grateful to the staff for saving his life, and how he was blessed to be still alive.  It was at that moment I  truly felt inspired and wanted to strive to be an outstanding nurse.

Journey to developing a nursing philosophy

As I reflect over the past nine years of my nursing career,  I recall many patient encounters and relationships that have made me proud to say I am a nurse.  Aside from this, it is the strong foundation of nursing knowledge and critical thinking skills that I have obtained from working in a rural critical access hospital and most recently an outpatient dialysis clinic that has molded me into the professional I am today.  “A body of knowledge, specialized training, service to society, accountability, autonomy, and ethical standards are symbolic to a profession” (Black, 2014).  My nursing experiences and ethical standards are what has taught me the value of being a competent nurse, team player, and patient advocate.  

During my practice, I have encountered many non-compliant patients.  In which, has provided me with the opportunity to educate them.  Providing evidence-based education to our patients is another aspect of the nursing profession that is crucial to providing quality care. I have also learned the importance to not become complacent in my job, but to continue my education and obtain my Bachelors Degree in Nursing (BSN).  In addition to expanding my professional opportunities; through hard work and determination, obtaining my BSN will further enhance my knowledge of providing safe quality care. According to The Code of Ethics for Nurses, nurses have a commitment to keep current in knowledge and skills and seek self-enhancement through continued learning.  By doing this, we will not remain complacent in our profession but evolve professionally through evidenced based practice.

Conclusion

Philosophy of life…is the basis of your day to day behavior. It consists of the principles that underlie your thinking and c

onduct” (Black, 2014). Actions prove who someone is; words just prove who they want to be.  Therefore, I will continue to

strive to portray myself as a professional, competent nurse who possesses a strong work ethic with integrity.  I will strive

always to be a team player as well as an advocate for my patients while ensuring I provide compassionate, evidence-based care.

•  11-20-2016, 10:26 PM

Re: Tell the World Challenge

•  11-24-2016, 12:08 AM

Re: Tell the World Challenge

wow really amazing. I never read such a beautiful article about nurse. Thanks for sharing such a great knowledge about them. 
    Lathe Machine | Drilling machine | Milling Machine